Tenant withdrawing notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant withdrawing notice

I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now, with less than a month to go, the tenants want to change it to 3 days later.

On 29-06-2019 Lawcruncher quoted:-

"A. Tenant gives invalid notice. Landlord communicates acceptance. Tenant signs up for another tenancy. Landlord cannot argue notice is invalid.

B. Tenant gives invalid notice. Landlord communicates acceptance. Landlord signs up another tenant. Tenant cannot argue notice is invalid.

C. Tenant gives invalid notice. Landlord communicates acceptance. Landlord withdraws acceptance.Tenant signs up for another tenancy. Tenant cannot argue notice is valid.

D. Tenant gives invalid notice. Landlord communicates acceptance. Tenant withdraws notice. Landlord signs up another tenant. Landlord cannot argue notice is valid."

My scenario is combination of C and D, because I would like the tenants to issue a valid notice, expiring on 3rd or 4th September, which would enable me to take the kids on holiday . My fear is that if I were to accept the newly proposed date (which compromises the holidays further), I am vulnerable to being messed about even more, because this could still be argued to be invalid.

So does their request to change the date override the previously accepted notice and what would you do ?

The tenant can't change the date of their notice without your agreement.

When you agreed the date of the first notice, that made it valid.

Personally, I'd let the tenants move out when they want to provided they pay for a check out service, take the holiday regardless and pay someone to do a check out in my absence..
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So you want them to leave early september?
      When do they want to leave?
      Why do you need to be their when they leave? Simply ask them to either take keys to agent (if you use one) or secure property and post keys through door.
      Do post checkout etc when you get back from holidays, or ask agent to do it.

As per JPkeates, let them go and work around that... Last thing you want is to make them stay when they dont want to.

Comment

They wanted to leave 10th August, now it's 13th August. I don't use an agent and I did the check in, so would prefer to do the check out. They are decent people, if slightly incompetent and they don't have lots of money, so they will need their deposit back ASAP. I want to work on their side, but want to minimise the risk of further complications.

Comment

I think this is one where a pragmatic approach is required. The only way to achieve legal certainty is to have an agreement for surrender which complies with the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1988 - but that will not of course guarantee that the tenants will actually leave on the agreed date.

I think take the line of least resistance and agree the three day extension.

Comment

Let them have their extension. Do check out on your return from holiday. Arrange for a friend to pop around after they have gone to collect keys, check all windows are locked and go from there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I suppose it's best to bite my lip and let them walk all over me!

Comment

They're not walking all over you.
                They're trying not to be homeless for three days or pay for two lots of rent.

They've paid their rent and been decent customers of yours.
                So why not do them a small favour?
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Does their original notice ending on 10th August still stand? It was simply an email containing this:- "Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we would like to confirm our last day as the 10th Aug", which I accepted.
                  Weeks later, they sent this "I'm afraid our moving date has slightly changed to the 13th Aug"

So, after reading your comments, I emailed them this:-

"If serving proper notice really is a problem for you, then I suggest we draw up a formal agreement allowing you to leave on 13th August. We would need to include some sort of clause explaining that if you defaulted on the agreement, you would be liable for any consequential costs (eg: compensation to incoming tenants if you failed to check out on 13th August)."

Three days later, they still haven't replied and I don't know where I stand.

Comment

Their tenancy agreement stipulates 'viewings in the last 28 days are allowed'. I haven't even advertised the property yet, because I don't know when it will be vacant and 10th August is just three weeks away. Still can't book a summer holiday either!

Comment

There are probably some last minute holiday deals that would get you back before 13 August. I never advertise until the tenant has or is just about to leave as there is often extra cleaning and/or replacements to do before I show it to new prospective tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long time tenants , no TA
                        Luke
                        Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                        Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                        Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                        Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
                        18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
                      • Finding new tenant
                        artin
                        Hi
                        Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
                        I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
                        15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
                      • Reply to Finding new tenant
                        Berlingogirl
                        I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems....
                        18-09-2019, 07:20 AM
                      • Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                        TracyRoman
                        I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally...
                        17-09-2019, 05:45 AM
                      • Reply to Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                        Berlingogirl
                        and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list....
                        18-09-2019, 07:15 AM
                      • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                        cancan
                        Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
                        16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
                      • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                        Berlingogirl
                        I used Once white emulsion to paint over black walls and ceilings and just one coat really did cover it, and I'm no decorating expert. I also used Once gloss to cover black gloss and again it covered it. £5000 seems very high for a 2 bed property, unless it was a huge place.

£672 also...
                        18-09-2019, 07:12 AM
                      • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                        cancan
                        Thanks everyone. I figured I should wait for the adjudication decision - if its in my favor, then i can consider small claims. If it isn't, i definitely can forget it.

But i suppose if the adjudication is in my favor, i can start small claims , since it is possible i will not be required...
                        18-09-2019, 03:50 AM
                      • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                        alenuk
                        Wondering if someone can help me here.
                        I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
                        Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
                        email to council
                        16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
                      • Reply to Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                        mariner
                        Any non-workng Security system can have a detterence factor untll sussed eg dummy alarm boxes.
                        L has no duty to provide CCTV in communal areas and is best advised not to do so,...
                        18-09-2019, 01:36 AM
                      Working...
                      X