Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Reasonable time”

Hi all,

Probably not the normal ‘reasonable time for repair’ post from a tenant because I’m actually more looking to back my argument that it doesn’t HAVE to be sorted as quickly as everyone is saying and they need to chill out!

We came back from our week honeymoon Saturday to find our boiler isn’t working/ keeps turning itself off, when we try and turn it on it makes the radiators red hot so quickly that you can smell them. We have now turned the boiler off and are leaving it. Hot weather so heating isn’t an issue but hot water obviously is.

I sent an email on Saturday to the letting agent and we have dealt with boiling kettles etc to wash in the meantime. My question about reasonable time is more because my parents and other half are adamant that this should be fixed within a couple of days. I’m not so sure that is actually the case but don’t like to argue a point I’m not 100% on!

Letting agent called today today and said they would give my number to a plumber who subsequently called me and arranged an appointment for this afternoon, an hour or so later was advised that this had been cancelled by the letting agent while they wait for the LL to say if they want quotes or what they want doing. Fair enough, but we don’t even know what the issue with it is yet! The boiler was installed in 1998 so it probably seen it’s best years.

No hot water is not ideal but we can live with it, and it’s not exactly been going on for long. I’m just interested from a LL perspective what your timeframes etc would be as I’m slightly biting my tongue at the moment in saying that we just have to go with it. I know if we owned the house we would likely have got someone out to look today but it’s unlikely we would have got it fixed!

Originally posted by roxylouise View Post
    Hi all,
    I know if we owned the house we would likely have got someone out to look today
    Doubt it.
    Have a try, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by roxylouise View Post
      Letting agent called today today and said they would give my number to a plumber who subsequently called me and arranged an appointment for this afternoon, an hour or so later was advised that this had been cancelled ....

No hot water is not ideal but we can live with it, and it’s not exactly been going on for long. I’m just interested from a LL perspective what your timeframes etc would be
      Without the cancellation, everything sounds reasonable.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

As a LL I would view my tenant having no hot water as a serious issue & would expect to get a plumber out within 24 or 48 hrs max. The length of time for repair / replacement would then depend on the issue but I would expect to have it fixed within the week.

The LL needs to know what the problem is so they can decide what to do so getting a plumber out asap is imperative. I would insist the letting agent rebook the plumber as the first step to getting this sorted.

Good luck.

Comment

I think what you have there is a problem with the agent.
          The landlord won't be able to decide on what to do until someone's been out and worked out what the problem is.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What jpkeates says..... the landlord sounds like they are in the dark at the moment, i would consider no hot water as urgent, i know of properties where the bathroom only has a bath and a hand shower run from the taps !!! Kettles will not help here. So yes a day or two to get an engineer out then see what the issue is and go from there seems reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X