Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord CCTV camera pointing into shower cubicle

Hello all,

I'm a tenant and have just moved into a rented property under a 6 month fixed term AST. The landlord lives next door.

After moving in, I discovered that the landlord has a CCTV camera affixed to this property on the roof, with clear line sight into our en suite shower cubicle, via the skylight.

The camera is a 360 dome style, and the landlord claims it is for his own security. He claims it points to his gate, but the glass is tinted black so there is no way of knowing. I cannot view the camera as the camera is wired back to the landlords house.

I have asked the landlord to remove, but he refuses. The Police are not interested.

I'd be grateful if anyone knew what the legal mechanisms may be to enforce removal of such an obscene camera?

I have tried looking, but it is not an item of disrepair and as such, there is no mention in law of how to get it removed.

Also, the council only seem to care about physical hazards, not privacy related issues.

The ICO don't want to know either. It seems noone cares and I (+family) am stuck!

Many thanks,

What evidence do you have that it is pointed at? I assume that both the police and ICO believe that it is unlikely to be be so pointed.

Hiding the the direction of the camera is considered best practice, these days.

You can buy stick on film that can easily be removed, when you leave, that has the effect of making the glass look like obscure glass.

You could probably also blind it by pointing a spotlight at it, but getting the level such that it didn't blind it in a legitimate direction might be difficult.

Also, I'm not convinced the glass is really that dark. Dark glass would make it inefficient in low light. I think you you look at it carefully, with binoculars, you will be able to see where it is pointed. If it has IR illumination, an IR sensitive camera, even a very cheap surveillance camera, may well be able to see in which direction the illumination is pointing.

If it is pointing at a gate onto the public highway, I believe it will need data protection registration, and you should be able to stand in the claimed target area, and then make a subject access request for the video of your standing there.

Really though, they should simply show you the live image, but that is a way of defusing the situation, rather than a legal requirement.

Deliberately doing what you are alleging would get them on the sex offenders register, and make them ineligible for landlord licensing or any future landlord registration schemes.

Comment

As said, stick on film on the skylight, or even a skylight blind is probably easiest for your peace of mind.

Comment

Taping up my windows so that the landlord cant see into my shower from the camera he has installed outside the skylight is not an adequate remedy when I am paying for a house that is not "monitored".

Comment

So you don't want a pragmatic response but have already received advice that it would be very difficult to achieve a legal remedy. Perhaps an injunction application would be appropriate, good luck with that one!

Comment

Have you asked to view what the camera can see ? If he refuses that then he has something to hide, and if it is pointing to where you think then its time to look for somewhere else to live given he is clearly a pervert.

Comment

The solution has been offered fo OP, if they are not prepared to interrupt line of sight to shower cubicle, they may be guilty of complicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif123 View Post
                Taping up my windows so that the landlord cant see into my shower from the camera he has installed outside the skylight is not an adequate remedy when I am paying for a house that is not "monitored".
                What kind of solution were you hoping for?

The Protection From Harassment Act 1997 allows you to take out a civil injunction if you can show that you are being harrassed.
                But you have no evidence that the neighbour is using the camera or where it points.

I would serve notice and, in the meantime, block the view as suggested.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                  The solution has been offered fo OP, if they are not prepared to interrupt line of sight to shower cubicle, they may be guilty of complicity.
                  Zero possibility.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                    If it has IR illumination, an IR sensitive camera, even a very cheap surveillance camera, may well be able to see in which direction the illumination is pointing.
                    Or your mobile phone.

Try it, use your mobile phone camera and point it at the IR led on a tv remote when pushing buttons...

Comment

As for privacy film, we use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rabbitgoo%C...dp/B01MSY9NJ6/
                      Applied some more recently on a small strip window by the front door, dead easy to apply. Offer up, trim to size, clean window with spray window cleaner, spray more window cleaner on, peel backing from film and slide it on. Adjust then squeege our the excess moisture. Done!
                      Took about 20 minutes as the window is awkward (very long!) so getting things lined up nicely took a couple of goes. Easier with two of you

Comment

Having made such accusations, you can expect a section 21 notice at the earliest opportunity, but, if you are right, blocking the window will deny the offender entertainment until you can be removed, and they can't even seek possession until after the six months end.

Comment

See this HOC Library Briefing Paper from July 2018.
                          researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01803/SN01803.pdf

Legally your only possibility is the Protection from Harassment Act 1977.
                          As said above though, you would have to have evidence that the CCTV is in fact pointing at (and zoomed into?) the skylight, and that your neighbour is watching you take showers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                            srclinton
                            I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
                            21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
                          • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                            srclinton
                            All noted. Thank you all....
                            22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
                          • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                            kaidranzer
                            Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
                            11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
                          • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                            Sydney
                            Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
                            22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
                          • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                            Orangesandlemons
                            Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
                            22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
                          • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                            AndrewDod
                            - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
                            22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
                          • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                            Joe.K
                            Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
                            The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
                            20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
                          • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                            Joe.K
                            Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
                            22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
                          • Agent ignoring periodic option
                            oakhill
                            My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
                            I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
                            I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
                            21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
                          • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
                            doobrey
                            Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
                            22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
                          Working...
                          X