Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity Meter help

Hi
    Bought a property containing 3 flats (and commercial property ground floor). I bought the property approx 3 years ago and has been left empty.
    I am now in the process of renovating the flats.

Each flat has an old electricity meter (card meter).
    Each meter is flashing with debt of £999.99

I haven't used any electricity (and there's no gas in the property either). I don't really fancy paying 3 x £999.99 to get these cleared.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what should I do? Who do I contact? I have no idea who the previous utility company was.

I made the mistake of not contacting the utility company the day I bought the property.

Thanks in advance

I would suggest to get in contact with your conveyance/ solicitor and see who previously owned it, I would also contact the gas company and see what they say.

Comment

Chances are the tariffs have some element of standing charge, so you may very well owe three years (x3) of that at least.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

if you can read the serial numbers off the meters, it won't matter too much which supplier you ring up - given the meter serial number, they ought to be able to tell you who current supplier actually is.

Comment

Call the number for your area - http://www.energynetworks.org/info/f...-operator.html
          It's been an automated service when I've used it.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Are they possibly private (not belonging to the utility) meters? Is there another meter on the premises?
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X