Rent out self contained outbuilding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent out self contained outbuilding

I’ve never been a landlord, so appreciate you baring with me.

I am looking to buy a property, which has a large garden and outbuilding, whilst viewing the property the estate agent said it may be an idea to convert the existing potting shed into a self contained outbuilding and rent it out. Would this therefore be a lodger or would I be renting out a separate part of my property with different rules? Any other advice or pointers where I should get information from would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Councils prosecute for lodgers in potting sheds! Google "beds in sheds".

If by lodger, you mean licence, that depends on whether or not you retain a real level of access. Almost certainly it needs to be a commercial tenancy, rather than a licence. For a licence you would need to exclude the area from the main tenancy, for the house. You would also need to include clauses in the main tenancy giving the user of the sheds right of way, if there was no reasonable means of access that did pass over the land covered by the main tenancy.

Are you expecting the main tenant to maintain the garden? If so, do they have adequate storage for equipment, without relying on the potting shed? Does the main house have adequate storage for unused household effect, and goods awaiting disposal?

Comment

To be clear, I mean a licence for commercial use (storage).

Comment

The agent was just winging it.
        "Self contained" (which it doesn't sound like) is not the same as "free standing" (which it probably is).

It's possible, but it depends on all kind of things.
        Is the potting shed within the property's permitted development scope, so you can convert it without planning permission (although the local authority will need to inspect to ensure you're complying with planning and building regs).

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok so what if I decide to knock the potting shed down and look at planning for an outbuilding to act as a granny annexe in the long term but a rental opportunity up until then? Maybe Airbnb?

Comment

You'd need planning permission and whether you'd get it or not, you'll probably need a local expert to guide you.

But I wouldn't knock the potting shed down until you either know what's happening.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you have an outbuilding, all self contained as a home for someone, then of course it has to be connected to sewers. ( it is a home, by definition of being for rent and for use by tenant only, and will be his HOME )
              Have it's own metered gas / electric / water .Minimum would be a meter where your mains enters ( meter on outside of outbuilding where you and tenant can read it, and you charge the tenant for his usage.

Will you be supplying a T.V. aerial ( all new t.v. sets are free view enabled )
              Freeview lets you watch 70 TV channels and 15 HD channels30 radio stations, all with no subscription.with no monthly cost or contract, including:
              1. BBC One.
              2. BBC Two.
              3. BBC Four.
              4. BBC Alba.
              5. ITV.
              6. ITV 2.
              7. ITV 3.
              8. ITV 4.
              And what about a telephone line for ,of course a phone and broadband internet ( broadband is ample for all my needs )

As the detached outbuilding is now a home, it will need an address. ( You cant give them keys to your house to collect mail.) And all addresses are charged council tax.( for which you are liable for when vacant )

Comment

How do people get around this with a granny annexe?

Comment

It is not and never has been a 'granny flat. It will be a self contained residence if converted.

Comment

A self contained "Detached" residence. Therefore not a Lodger.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X