Letting agent never in the office to take calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agent never in the office to take calls

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to renting so sorry if my following question isn't detailed enough or doesn't make sense.

Basically, my girlfriend and her friend have been trying to move into a new flat to stay while they're in uni, everything seemed to be going fine, they paid the £650 holding deposit and gave details for guarantors.

This Monday, my girlfriend was emailed to say that her guarantors were not accepted because they don't earn enough money to be accepted, they were told they need new guarantors by Wednesday, despite never once telling her that the guarantors had to earn a certain amount.

So my girlfriend calls up as soon as she gets the email, only to find that the man dealing with her property isn't in the office, she has tried again every day since, with no avail and no one else who could help her available.

Yesterday, she received an email telling her that the property would be going back on the market, and that their holding deposit would not be refunded, we have tried yet again to call, yet once again, no one was there to help and we were told that Monday would be the best time to call back. The email also stated that she could apply again for £253.

I find it extremely unfair that she has to find that money just for the privilege of reapplying, we're also worried that if we do find that money, they'll once again tell her that her guarantors are unacceptable.

If anyone could give advice I'd be extremely grateful.

What date did they pay the holding deposit?

Is the office a physical place or a phone number?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

On what terms was the holding deposit paid?

Comment

If you can't get in touch via the phone, put it in an email so that you have tried to contact the agent within the 14 days. If you lose your holding deposit, you have alternative recourse options - read the how to rent guide from the gov. website for more info.

Comment

When was the initial deposit paid? The key date is June 1st when a maximum limit was set on deposits (your new deposit seems plausible, but not the new one).

I'm afraid it is fairly obvious that income is going to be a factor in the suitability of guarantors.

For post June 1st deposits, I'm not convinced they would be able to retain the deposit, given they pulled out.

Comment

I'm 90% sure it's a scam - hence my questions in post #2
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would concur with the above, a slick scheme indeed. They don't take the calls to progress the '' application '' so it times out and the deposit is lost.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X