Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad tenants left - no rent and damages

Hello -
    I’ve had some very nasty tenant experience and old appreciate any guidance in the right direction that will help me deal with the situation.
    In Summary, the tenants did not pay rent on time for at least 6 months. Then they just stopped. After about 6 weeks of unpaid rent, they left abruptly, giving me a one day notice and leaving the house in a mess (their broken furniture and other items that they don’t need). The carpets, walls and garden is a mess. There is a lot of garbage in the garage.

The deposit which is in DPS only covers the unpaid rent. I have started the process for claiming that money though DPS. It’s been 2 weeks and the tenants have not responded which shows its clear that they are not expecting the rent back.
    Since they have left without giving me a forwarding address, I am seeking some information in the following areas
    1. I would like to file a small claims case against them for the damages. I have their phone numbers and can see they have social media (flaunting expensive dinner parties). I also know where they worked when they lived in my house. Don’t have their current address.
    I am hoping I can file a case and then take the papers to them and give them a choice to come back to the house, take their mess and clean up to avoid a legal case. If not, I will pursue the case and at the least get them a CCJ. Thoughts?
    1. I don’t know where they were paying for electricity. I believe I am liable for bills now, but how can I find out where they ere paying so I can pick up? Or am I liable? Since they left without proper notice, leaving their possessions in the house 2 months before their contact ends, they should still be liable for bills until end of contact?
    1. Is there a way for me to find out their current address

Usually the best idea is to let deposit pay for repairs, and sue for rent arrears. (Can't be disputed.)

I'd forget about getting them back to clean IIWY. You are only inviting wall scrapes.

BTW, your tenant might actually have done you a favour by not providing an up to date address. You can sue at the most recent address you have for them. (Your property.) If they have not arranged redirection, there will be no defence, and you can ask for judgement in default.

Comment

Initiate a SCC/PCOL claim to Ts last known address for all rent due until end of fixed Term or until they vacated + Notice Period, if later,+ reasonable cost of repairs, to return property to 'move in condition, less allowance for FW&T.
      When you get judgement, ensure it is registered as a CCJ.
      If T did not give due, valid Notice, rent is still due.

Comment

And ensure that the judgement states that the deposit is to be paid to the LL.

Comment

Sorry to jump in on your thread, I am also in a similar position and am wondering is it right to use tenants last known address if you know that they no longer live there?

Comment

You can only use the last address you are aware of.
            The tenant's getting the mail forwarded is their problem.

The obvious practical issue is that the tenant won't know about the claim until afterwards when it appears on their credit history, so it's more of an issue to get the actual money.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent increases.
              bobcat
              Hi everyone.
              I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
              21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Rent increases.
              MdeB
              work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
              21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
              DPT57
              My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
              21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
            • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              marco1733
              So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
              21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
            • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              MdeB
              At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
              21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
            • Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
              or did the current...
              21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              leaseholder64
              I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
              21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
              Thehitman2001uk
              It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
              Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
              21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
              ash72
              My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
              21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
              ash72
              What was the rating of the property on the expired certificate, Any property below an E rating can't be rented out. I would get the certificate completed as soon as possible and supply this to your tenant, get them to sign that they have received it as well as proof.
              21-10-2019, 20:12 PM
            Working...
            X