Best way to move tenants around!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to move tenants around!

I've got 3 properties A, B and C being rented out. I want to move to property A to live in. Tenants in C have indicated they want to move out but are looking for a place and haven't given't notice.
    All are good tenants. As property C will become vacant soon, I'm thinking of proposing tenants in A to move to property B as I don't wish to lose them as tenants especially since I will be losing tenants in C. I can't propose property C to tenants in A because it is too far for them. So I will have to ask tenants in B in turn to move to C. If all works out, I don't need to find new tenants.
    However, tenants in C are dragging their feet moving out and I'm thinking of giving them notice to move out.

What's the best way to approach all this and get tenants moving? Do I have to take the formal route and give 2 months notice to each? Or if A is happy to move to B and B is happy to move to C at any time, can I just rely on their word? But then if they change their mind when the time comes, I have nothing to get them out...

I'm thinking of starting with tenants in A. If they don't want to move to B, then apply normal eviction route and no need to trouble current tenants in B and tenants in C can stay as long as they wish.
    Also, to make any eviction easier, say for property C, I can just say I'm planning to live in there myself and then change my mind at last minute or even 1 week after "moving in"?

I haven't approached any tenants yet, just wanted to get the opinion of more experienced members here first.

I think you're going to have to pay cash inducements for tenants to move house, rather than issuing s21 notices and expect them to be grateful. Otherwise, they might as well move elsewhere (to someone who won't evict them.)

Comment

I was planning to increase the rent in the process!
      They can move elsewhere but I doubt it would be advantageous for them. They deal directly with me, no estate agent middle man, I'm always quick to make repairs. Better the devil that you know....
      Also, they may not find a suitable place within the 2 months notice I give them.

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol
        Also, they may not find a suitable place within the 2 months notice I give them.
        They would have a lot longer than 2 months, giving someone 2 months notice s21 does not end the tenancy.

You would have to go to court, get a possession order and bailiffs in the end if the tenants decided they don't want to move.

All this could take 6/7 months even longer ?
        Thunderbirds are go

Comment

That's assuming they don't respect the eviction notice.

Comment

I would say you should be asking them to surrender in consideration of the new tenancy.

Comment

May be easier if OP just occupies first available vacant property?

Comment

It's always best in the first instance to talk with your T's rather than going straight to the compliance side. From what you have said you need C to surrender or give notice, or you need to give notice to them. Are all the T's on a fixed term or have they gone periodic?

Are you also offering to pay for the T's who you wish to move to the other property's removal costs? Wouldn't it make sense keep B in the same property, Move A into C and you take A? Then only 1 T needs to move if it is your desire to move into A.

Comment

A won't move to C because the location is too far for them.
                  I will certainly talk to them first and put the options to them.
                  They've all gone periodic. I've never increased the rent for all the time they've been in place.
                  That's why I was going to use this opportunity to increase the rent when each set of tenants move.
                  I'm not going to pay them for anything. The way I see it, I need the property for myself and give them notice to move out.

As I value them as tenants and hopefully they value me as landlord, I propose them another property so we maintain this relationship. In fact, at the cost of tenants in B having to move. It is now up to them whether they take up this offer or not. They are certainly free to refuse and move out to somewhere else. I'll just find new tenants if I have to and they'll find another landlord and property.

Comment

I think I'll talk to everyone, give them their options and then their 2 months' notice whether they wish to move to one of my properties or not. If they wish to move to one of my other properties, they can do it during this period, otherwise they can move out after 2 months to somewhere else. In any case, the eviction notice is valid and they move out.

Comment

Just factor in you may need to re-paint the property(s) if they decline in order to attract new T's and market rates, as new T's wont know you and will just compare on price and the property. Plus the fact that new laws are more favourable to T's (and the bad ones will exploit this for there needs).

I personally think a good T that you know is better than a new T you don't know and vice versa on the LL, if a LL is responsive and helpful, it better than a LL who wont do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post

I personally think a good T that you know is better than a new T you don't know and vice versa on the LL, if a LL is responsive and helpful, it better than a LL who wont do anything.
                        That's my point. Hopefully the tenants will see it that way too.

I will definitely have to repaint and update all the properties, whether the same tenants move in or not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent increases.
                          bobcat
                          Hi everyone.
                          I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                          21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
                        • Reply to Rent increases.
                          MdeB
                          work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
                          21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
                          DPT57
                          My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
                          21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
                        • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                          marco1733
                          So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
                          21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
                        • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                          MdeB
                          At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
                          21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
                        • Energy efficiency certificate
                          Thehitman2001uk
                          I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
                          or did the current...
                          21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
                        • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                          leaseholder64
                          I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
                          21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
                          Thehitman2001uk
                          It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
                          Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
                          21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
                          ash72
                          My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
                          21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
                          ash72
                          What was the rating of the property on the expired certificate, Any property below an E rating can't be rented out. I would get the certificate completed as soon as possible and supply this to your tenant, get them to sign that they have received it as well as proof.
                          21-10-2019, 20:12 PM
                        Working...
                        X