Question about statutory periodic tenancy or contractual period tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about statutory periodic tenancy or contractual period tenancy

Hi I need your help. I have been renting a property for the last 6 years at the beginning we had an ast for a year and renewed for 3 years. After this the landlord did not want to renew and instead roll over to a statutory periodic tenancy. I have given the one month's notice to vacate. But the agent has sent me my old tenancy agreement where it says I need to give two months. I've attached a picture. Am I right in thinking it's worded incorrectly as they have wrote it will roll on to a statutory periodic tenancy in wich the notice period is one month but they've added they need two months notice but therefore making it a contractual periodic tenancy.? This was made unclear to me I just need to know where I stand. Thanks in advance for your help.

The photo isn't large enough to read.

Could you please quote what the highlighted paragraph says?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Also you need to redact the names and signatures.

(I suspect the forum has a size limit on photographs from new posters to be protect against spam and illegal images.)

Comment

Sorry ! This is what it says.
        thankyou

The tenants Agrees to provide written notice of their intention to leave the property and minimum of two months prior to the end of the agreed term. Unless the notice is received in due time the tenancy will continue on as statutory periodic Tenacy, And still requires two months written notice to be received by the landlord or agent before their intended departure

Comment

I'm not convinced the first part is valid as you can normally leave without warning at the end of the fixed period.

The second part is invalid because the legislation for SPTs voids any clause in the agreement and basically makes notice one month, rounded up to the end of the next rental period. It can be up to just under two months for a a monthly rental, if you time it badly, but only about a month, if well timed.

Comment

Thankyou I pay rent monthly so the rent is payed on the 15th of each month I will be paying on 15th July wich will take me to 15th August and I was hoping to leave on 15th August but they are saying I still need to stay and pay till September. I just don't know how to word it back to them after they sent me the old tenancy agreement and highlighted the part which says two months notice. Thanks for all your help so far

Comment

15th of August should be OK, but you may need to hand deliver the notice. 1 month is 12th August Rounding up to a rental period is 15th August. (probably actually midnight at the end of 14th August.

Comment

I presume Sdack123 have actually given notice, but just the agent coming back to say not enough time given. If not, then a notice to quit served on the 15th July with a stated end date of 15th August will end the tenancy on the end of the day 14th August. Whether Sdack123 would be able to serve notice by 15th July would depend on what the tenancy agreement say how notices may be effected.

Originally posted by Sdack123 View Post
                I just don't know how to word it back to them after they sent me the old tenancy agreement and highlighted the part which says two months notice.
                Tell them you've taken advice that that part of the clause isn't enforceable for a statutory periodic tenancy. If they disagree, they should take legal advice.
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thankyou for your help !

Comment

OP please complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ll-new-posters for your last renewal (which should be a 'new' AST).

Comment

Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                      England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                      Sole tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? May 2017 it went on to a statutory periodic tenancy

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)? 12 months

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)?
                      Per calender month

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)?
                      Yes 17/05/13

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy). 10/7/19

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No

Comment

In the original tenancy agreement what are the tenancy periods (which can be related to the rental payment date, but may not be).

There will be a section along the lines of this tenancy begins on 10th June 2016 and continues for 12 months ending on 9th May 2017. That's the part that controls when the periodic notice has to expire.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Company Let Permitted Occupier
                          bertpentax
                          Hi I have a Company Let agreement with a large local company. The property is in its third year of letting with the same company and the same permitted occupier. Each year a new 12 month contract has been signed. The company contacted me the day before the new signed contract was due to commence in...
                          19-08-2019, 09:10 AM
                        • Reply to Company Let Permitted Occupier
                          bertpentax
                          I would have thought that ... any frustration of contract is self-induced as the company has allowed the occupier to vacate the property and this was reasonably foreseen rendering the company at fault?

Company Let Tenancy Agreement

VACATION - Not to vacate the Premises except...
                          19-08-2019, 10:30 AM
                          jpkeates
                          That contract is too inflexible to work in real life though,
                          The named person is a great mechanism for making sure you're comfortable with whoever's in the property (which is one of the reasons people here don't like this kind of arrangement), but the company can't stop someone leaving to align...
                          19-08-2019, 10:23 AM
                          bertpentax
                          The current contract names the permitted occupier as a defined term and the contract cannot be assigned or sublet to anyone else. I don't see any terms to allow a new employee to take over the tenancy. I said that I would be happy to consider the company entering into a new agreement so that the new...
                          19-08-2019, 10:14 AM
                        • Enforcement officers
                          Flowery
                          I wanted to know what peoples experiences are regarding whether enforcement officers do take action after you have raised issues with Rent Smart Wales. I ask because I have tried to get help via my local council without success, so I went to Rent Smart Wales and they have contacted the enforcement...
                          15-09-2018, 11:56 AM
                        • Reply to Enforcement officers
                          Flowery
                          I did, he just wasn't interested. Rent Smart Wales is just another money making scheme for the government, screwing over reputable landlords.
                          19-08-2019, 10:07 AM
                          jpkeates
                          In which case, you should probably relet it and try and recover the rent for the interim period from the company.
                          They probably won't pay and could argue that the contract was frustrated by your refusal to allow a new employee to take over the tenancy - which is probably incorrect, but it will...
                          19-08-2019, 09:59 AM
                          bertpentax
                          The tenancy can only be terminated by giving 1 month's notice prior to the end of the 12 month term. There are no break clauses....
                          19-08-2019, 09:44 AM
                          bertpentax
                          Thanks for the advice. Are you saying that a Residential Company Let comes under common law and that the general advice is not to enter into a Company Let? Also the property is vacant and I'm not expecting any new occupier? Thanks
                          19-08-2019, 09:41 AM
                          jpkeates
                          What does the agreement say about how it can be terminated?...
                          19-08-2019, 09:39 AM
                        Working...
                        X