Water Damage from Flat Above

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Damage from Flat Above

My tenant has reported water damage to her ceiling due to a leak from the flat above.
    The landlord of the flat above has moved and her contact information is therefore no longer valid. The tenant of the flat above refuses to answer her door and mobile phone. I posted a letter asking her to kindly provide her landlord or managing agents contact information in order to get repair work underway and highlighted that urgent repair is required as water has entered the electrical wiring and now presents an electric shock hazard.but she still has not replied.

Any suggestions how to proceed would be welcome.

Is the freeholder the council? If so, contact them 1st thing. If not, try and find the freeholder and contact them. Surely they will want know that someone is misusing their flat and causing structural damage. Good luck.

Comment

The damage to the ceiling itself is likely to be covered by the building insurance so the freeholder should want to contact the leaseholder for the other flat quickly to avoid premiums increasing. They really aught to have valid contact information.

If the leak is very bad, consider turning off the external stop tap..

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        If the leak is very bad, consider turning off the external stop tap..
        That may be considered harassment (or some other offence).

Comment

I’m given to believe that the freeholder is the owner of the upstairs flat. Regarding turning their water off, the stop cock for the upstairs flat is located in my tenants bathroom and I like that idea. At least she would have to answer her door, or I could threaten to do it unless she engages with me to solve the problem. Think I will call my solicitor and find out the implications of that action.

Comment

I would also turn the water off until the tenant comes to complain. She could be away on holiday for all you know.

Comment

Well she could be on holiday but my tenant thinks she’s at home. She has a history of not answering though.
              I will give her a knock tonight, call her mobile and ask my tenant if she can here her moving around. If she is in and not answering I will post a note telling her I will be turning her water off tomorrow and to contact me when she needs it back on.
              Why I have to go to such ends to ask a simple question I don’t know. I just can’t understand the motivation of some people!

Comment

Anyone know of a way in which I can track down the the owner of this flat ?

Comment

Land Registry title searches cost £3 online. The address returned may or may not be useful.

Comment

Many Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X