Visit to home with no notice - advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit to home with no notice - advice please

I have come home today and found a gas safety certificate on my hob. I have had no email or letter saying this would happen from the letting agent, nor a call from the plumbing company to book an appointment or check if they can use the keys.
    They have just been in the property without any information being passed to me at all.
    Where do I stand with this, and what action can I take? I have already emailed the agents but they are closed for the evening.

Check if your tenancy agreement gave permission for this, before making a fuss.

Comment

I don’t think I am making a fuss as no one should be in my house without my permission. My contract states I must have notice in writing with min 24 hours notice

Comment

Assuming the tenancy agreement doesn't allow someone to come in without your permission or by giving notice, the issue is what can you practically do about it?

Is the property managed by a landlord or an agent?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is an agent, they usually contact but this happened before in the past but a while ago so it isn’t the first time.

Comment

You can prevent this by changing external locks and only allowing people in when you are home (but you probably have a duty to give access for gas inspections).

Comment

I would have given access if I had notice but it’s the lack of notice of any form that is the issue.

Comment

You can complain (in writing, paper and envelope), but changing the locks is the most pracitcal response.
                People's behaviour won't change.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would drop the Agent a friendly email asking them to arrange appointments with you in future

Comment

... and reminding them that you have a right to change the locks and follow a formal complaints procedure to their redress scheme if it happens again.

Do keep the original locks to reinstate at the end of the property though.

Actually, you might want to install an internal camera that records when it detects movement. In this case, you might have had visits that you have been completely unaware of.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X