X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant requests Last months rent to be deducted from the Security Deposit

Hi All,

I am a Private Landlord,

Having a property which has a Tenant who claims he has financial difficulties and can no longer afford to stay in the property,
    he is requesting that the last months rent to be taken from the deposit and is willing to sign an agreement for the same.

I have my reservations........ but
    The good news is that he has left the Property and taken everything with him, I have NOT entered the property as he has not handed the keys back, however I can clearly see that the house is empty as the the curtains and the nettings have been removed and taken by him.

He says he will hand the keys back as soon as his post has been diverted,

I drafted a letter stating that he has agreed that the surrender of the property does not comply with the AST in force (which is now a Month to Month) and he is willing to forfeit the Security deposit, especially for the rent arrears.
    he has also confirmed this in a Text message to me. I have informed him that any damage or unpaid bill will also be deucted from the deposit. (if any deposit is remaining).

I am hoping he hands the keys back before the next rent due date,

what I want to ask is, should I be doing anything else to prepare myself for any unexpected outcome?

Thank you in advance

If they are genuinely in financial difficulties, it probably doesn't make much difference that they are in breach by making you have to use the deposit to cover the rent. If you rejected the surrender, they would probably just run up more arrears and might exhaust the the deposit, leaving nothing for damage.

Comment

I agree with the above, but you might want to carry out a damage inspection on the property before finalising the arrangement. There is a model deed of surrender on this website. You might want to take a look at that first.

Comment

Give over 24 hours notice of inspection (post it through the door, with a witness/video of you doing it on your phone).
        Visit over 24 hours later, knock loudly, unlock, shout loudly letting them know its the landlord etc.. Again, bring witness + record on phone.
        If asked to leave then you just go.
        Touch nothing unless its risking damage/security of the property (ie windows open, water running etc).

This gives you a good chance to assess for potential damage/clearup.. If your are satisfied that no major issues then you potentially could accept the tenants offer but insist that they surrender asap for that to be an option (give them a deadline of a couple of days - week maybe?)

Just my 2p.. Am sure others will be along with better ideas shortly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WITHOUT PREJUDICE email
          Jeremyst
          Hi, I proposed to settle pre trial in a WITHOUT PREJUDICE headed email to the other party. They refused to settle.

Am I permitted to make the judge aware that I tried to settle in a WITHOUT PREJUDICE email, but this wasn’t agreed to? Or is it the case that because my email was headed...
          18-09-2019, 22:57 PM
        • Reply to WITHOUT PREJUDICE email
          KTC
          You can't show it to the judge, tell the judge about it, accidentally leave a copy on the judge's desk, show it to the judge in a dream, .........

If it's without prejudice save as to cost, then if you win the case and got at least as much as you offered to settled for, THEN you can tell...
          19-09-2019, 05:59 AM
        • nightmare lodger
          encona
          Hi all.

This is my first post here and I’m hoping for a bit of advice.

I’ve had a nightmare lodger recently
          • Didn’t pay his rent on time, not even once and had to be chased on every occasion and when he finally paid on every occasion he paid less than was due and had to
          18-09-2019, 16:44 PM
        • Reply to nightmare lodger
          mariner
          We need to know the details of any lodger Agreement otherwise I would say Lodger only has to pay for period of resisedencr.
          19-09-2019, 02:19 AM
        • Gov allowing tenants to buy PRS housing
          Berlingogirl
          I've just heard on the Andrew Marr show that if somebody gets in (I wasn't listening fully so I don't know who it was, I've no doubt somebody on here can name that person), they will allow tenants to buy their PRS property at a price that means the landlord will not lose out.

Surely this...
          08-09-2019, 08:25 AM
        • Reply to Gov allowing tenants to buy PRS housing
          Mogino
          You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.
          19-09-2019, 01:44 AM
        • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
          cancan
          Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
          16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
        • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
          Mogino
          Yes you do. You (and every one of us) always has a choice. We just don't often think we do, or we don't like the choices.
          Even a mugger who demands you hand over your money or he will knife you, is giving you a choice.
          Your situation is entirely of your own making, through a series of choices...
          19-09-2019, 01:23 AM
        • Eviction notice s21
          Propertygoesup
          I refer to the checklist here:
          https://markprichard.co.uk/content/d...ecker-tool.pdf
          ​​​​​​The AST began in July 2015 and was 12 months. Nothing has been signed since.
          On question 6 I am not sure which answer to follow.
          There is a mention...
          18-09-2019, 21:32 PM
        • Reply to Eviction notice s21
          AndrewDod
          Not 100% sure what your question is -- you have I think answered it in your first sentence.

This flowchart really shines light on the joke that L&T legislation has become - nothing at all to do with protecting actual tenants or anything at all logical or purpose-driven -- just a Kafkarian...
          18-09-2019, 21:50 PM
        Working...
        X