Tenant question on agent accidentally locking us out of the property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant question on agent accidentally locking us out of the property

Hi - The other night, we came back from a holiday to find our front door (high security locks) locked and was unable to access our property. We were only given the standard lock keys at check-in and were told that they didn't have the high security locks. We knew the electrician had been whilst we were away and it turns out the agency gave the electrician a set of keys including, the high security locks. We called out a locksmith who said it'll require unnecessary loud drilling which was not practical at that time of the night (it was past 1 am) and so ended up staying with a friend, instead of staying at a nearby hotel for £500. The locksmith cost £60 and we caught a late-night taxi. The agent has now said they won't reimburse us for the costs and they can't make us a set of the high-security locks.

Do we have the right to demand reimbursement for the costs, including rent?

The agent caused you to be locked out of the property, so I'd expect them to be liable to compensate you for any reasonable costs arising as a consequence.

I'd also expect them to try and simply say no, as the amount you'd want is relatively small and they probably hope that you just to give up.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would get the locksmith to provide expert advice on the reason why you were locked out, if it's due to the high security lock (and your inventory also proves you do not have access/keys) you have a strong case to claim compensation as it was not your doing and why they think you should pay for the inconvenience.

How did you manage to get back inside the property? Did you call the locksmith out again or did the agent let you in?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X