Tenant question on agent accidentally locking us out of the property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant question on agent accidentally locking us out of the property

Hi - The other night, we came back from a holiday to find our front door (high security locks) locked and was unable to access our property. We were only given the standard lock keys at check-in and were told that they didn't have the high security locks. We knew the electrician had been whilst we were away and it turns out the agency gave the electrician a set of keys including, the high security locks. We called out a locksmith who said it'll require unnecessary loud drilling which was not practical at that time of the night (it was past 1 am) and so ended up staying with a friend, instead of staying at a nearby hotel for £500. The locksmith cost £60 and we caught a late-night taxi. The agent has now said they won't reimburse us for the costs and they can't make us a set of the high-security locks.

Do we have the right to demand reimbursement for the costs, including rent?

The agent caused you to be locked out of the property, so I'd expect them to be liable to compensate you for any reasonable costs arising as a consequence.

I'd also expect them to try and simply say no, as the amount you'd want is relatively small and they probably hope that you just to give up.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would get the locksmith to provide expert advice on the reason why you were locked out, if it's due to the high security lock (and your inventory also proves you do not have access/keys) you have a strong case to claim compensation as it was not your doing and why they think you should pay for the inconvenience.

How did you manage to get back inside the property? Did you call the locksmith out again or did the agent let you in?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
        by AndrewDod
        The evidence for that statement would be much appreciated.

Bearing in mind we are not talking about social status we are talking about "social housing tenants". Do have have research that shows that social housing tenants do not trash properties at a higher rate that non social...
        16-02-2020, 18:59 PM
      • Requested permission to get a cat
        by JessJ235
        Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
        Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
        15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
        by jpkeates
        I keep dogs and cats (and they are the cause of my frequent use of rugs and replacement of carpets).

However, nothing compares to the damage capacity of a kitten.
        They are full of energy, have sharp teeth and claws, endless curiosity and little continence.
        16-02-2020, 18:58 PM
      • Reply to Pre Action letter for MCOL
        by jpkeates
        You will need to be able to show that the guarantor is the one who, at this point, owes you the debt.
        The tenant has incurred the debt, and the guarantor has (depending on what their guarantor deed says) agreed to pay these debts if they don't.

Depending on the wording of the guarantee...
        16-02-2020, 18:55 PM
      • Pre Action letter for MCOL
        by MisterB
        I haven't used the MCOL process before and having read through it, I am required to undertake 'pre action', which seems a fair process to follow. I have drafted the following (details removed of course) - does anyone consider it unsuitable ?? I have tried to include all the relevant points without making...
        14-05-2017, 07:13 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        There is no correlation between a person's social status and their propensity to trash property....
        16-02-2020, 18:42 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 Proceedings Delay
        by theartfullodger
        Fine, so ask estate agent for evidence of service of all relevant documents...

Could we possibly please have a response to the calm, polite, question from a wise member......
        Looking forward to your illuminating reply....
        16-02-2020, 18:37 PM
      • Section 21 Proceedings Delay
        by savvylandlord2020
        Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences as me today.

I attended a Possession Claim Court Hearing (10 Minutes) today having served my tenant a Section 21 Notice(Accelerated Possession).

Court hearing was listed to clarify the date of the EPC...
        06-02-2020, 20:17 PM
      • Reply to Help with Lifelong Tenant problem
        by theartfullodger
        One would need to read the actual tenancy to understand rights etc etc.. (please don't post..).

As the rent is less than £250p.a. it cannot be (may not be, legally impossible to be..) an AST. I assume it is some sort of common law tenancy. Does the tenancy document cover what happens if...
        16-02-2020, 18:33 PM
      • Help with Lifelong Tenant problem
        by Yellowmead
        Several years ago my siblings and I inherited a flat with a lifelong tenant in situ.

Every year the tenant sends us a cheque for £20 (his annual rent) and we send him back a letter of thanks. That is our only contact.

The tenant is now in his late 80's. As far as we know he...
        16-02-2020, 01:14 AM
      Working...
      X