Landlord allowing friend to live in outbuilding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord allowing friend to live in outbuilding

I’m looking for some advise on behalf of my son who has arrange a rental property for his second year at Uni through a local Letting Agent. There are 8 of them sharing.

Upon collecting the keys this week, aside from the property being in a terrible state, they have discovered that’s there are two men (landlords friends apparently) living in an outbuilding at the end of the garden.

When they viewed the property the estate agent agent told them it was used for storage by the landlord but certainly no mention of people living there.

They have complained to the Estate Agent, who have simply issued an addendum to the contract whereby the landlord agrees to pay 1/9 (ninth) of the electric and water bill to cover there use.

Can anyone advise on where where they stand on this matter? If they knew there would be people living in the garden shed they wouldn’t have chosen this property.

Are they able to enforce the landlord to evict these people and refuse to sign the addendum or do they run the risk of being served notice themselves?

Thanks in advance

If the agreement has a 12 month fixed term (which would be normal for a student let) neither the landlord or the tenant can serve notice.

If the agent didn't disclose something that would have changed the buying decision it's a misleading omission and would probably be grounds to void the contract at this early point.
    Ideally, the tenants would move out immediately and hand the keys back on that basis.

Don't sign the addendum.
    Might be worth talking to the local authority - outbuildings might not have the resources necessary for a residence.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Agree, tell the council (anonymously?) that you are reporting a 'beds in sheds' situation at the address.

They tend to be strict on 'beds in sheds'.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Didn’t think about the local authority so will investigate that route.

They really don’t want to hand the keys back as they won’t have anywhere else to live as all their parents don’t live in the same county as the University.

Other than getting the local authority involved, are they able to force the landlord to evict the people in the outbuilding?

Comment

Go to the student housing office too. There are all sorts of things they can help you with... and yes, even if you didn't rent through them.

Comment

I doubt they could force the landlord to do anything but where has it all gone so wrong that grown men are living in sheds at the bottom of a garden of a house where another 8 individuals live ! We are in a terrible state in this sad country, tell the local authority as this could be linked to modern slavery, i would also consider informing the Police.

Comment

Is there a single tenancy agreement for all 8 students, or do they have individual room agreements? If the latter, what rights are the granted in respect of common parts?

Comment

Originally posted by BillieJoe1ST View Post
                They really don’t want to hand the keys back as they won’t have anywhere else to live as all their parents don’t live in the same county as the University.
                They're somewhat stuck then.
                If the property is not in an acceptable state (ie contains extra people, they need to vote with their feet.

Other than getting the local authority involved, are they able to force the landlord to evict the people in the outbuilding?
                If they're not prepared to quit, what incentive does the landlord have to do anything?
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X