County Court Claim - cancel on repayment plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Court Claim - cancel on repayment plan?

Hopefully a quick question...one of our landlords started a claim on an ex-tenant for rental arrears (circa £1500). Tenant has admitted, verbally, that the money is owed via the Citizens Advice Bureau.

The CAB have said that normally the court claim would be set aside as a repayment plan had been agreed to avoid "clogging up the court system" which seems a strange request to us - what is to stop the ex-tenant stopping paying and the whole claim having to be issues again?

Any advise or thoughts greatly appreciated.

FYI; it was a one year AST, all bond and documentation registered/signed/provided as necessary etc. Tenant lived there the whole year. The bond was offset against the arrears and a bit of cleaning - which the tenant neither agreed to, nor disputed. In fact, we have not heard from the tenant at all until the call from CAB today.

If you agree to a payment plan, you are in no worse a position than if the court imposed one, but you don't risk having to pay the court fees.

Comment

If there's an agreement to repay money owed, there's no court case, because there's no dispute.
      If the tenant via the CAB and the landlord agree a repayment plan, that should be put in writing (signed by the landlord and tenant).

If the tenant doesn't pay in line with the agreed plan, that's a black and white legal claim.

Two points, the plan should include the cost of the court fee that the landlord has (presumably) already paid and shouldn't last more than 6 years.

That would actually be quite a decent outcome, the tenant is at least trying to sort the problem out (and probably wants to avoid a ccj).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies - just to clarify - the landlord has already started the claim. The tenant has received the claim form and that's what prompted him to go to the CAB.

Comment

All they have is an offer of a plan. However, if they refuse the offer, and the court agrees to essentially the same arrangement, you might find that the court is unwilling to add the court fees to the tenant's payments.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X