Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice about moving out

Hello all!

If anyone actually makes it through my essay, any advice is really very much appreciated...

Earlier this year we found out we were expecting another child which meant that we had outgrown our smaller property, we eventually found a new home, applied and was granted the tenancy. We approached the soon to be ex landlord, who we shall reference as John, explained it was nothing wrong with the tenancy or the house, we just needed more space which is why we were giving up the tenancy.

I communicated to "John" on the 16th May, the day before the rent was due and said that we would be handing in our notice, meaning that we should have been allowed to legally exit on 16th June. He asked us if it was possible to stay until 30th June allowing him more time to find tenants without losing too much in rent. In hindsight this should have been a red flag as at the time we felt sorry for him but now I am starting to think it's just pure greed.

Anyway, we agreed to stay until 30th June, this was all communicated via Whatsapp as I didn't have an email address for him. A couple of days later he started to threaten us with charging us to the 16th July if we didn't hand our notice in via email, literally giving me until that evening to send it. I was confused as we had already had a pretty friendly chat on Whatsapp and thought it had all been agreed. I eventually got the email from him and sent the request.

Regardless, I thought it was sorted...! Couple of days later he was asking us when we were moving out?!?! Then he turned up at the house!! Albeit frustrated we assured him we were leaving on the 30th, would pay to the 30th and have the house in good condition for the 30th. We even asked him if he would like to do a walk through the weekend before in order to suss out anything that he feels we are responsible for fixing.

A couple days later he asked if he could hold some viewings, we obliged, we didn't want to be obstructive when it came to finding a new tenant, we just wanted a smooth transition out of there. He ended up booking them from 4pm-6pm despite the tenancy agreement stating no work or visitors to the property were supposed to be booked for after 4pm.

Skip ahead a couple of weeks, we have mostly moved into our new property and we are in the process of emptying the other and giving it a proper good clear and clean. However he keeps making comments to us about this not being done or that being left in the house, things which we hadn't got around to yet as we were waiting for a removal company to come and take all the rubbish and items we no longer wanted (they came today).

What we have learned is that he has a set of keys and has been attending the property pretty much daily, why I don't know, there is no emergency that needed attending. Finally the last straw today is that we have learned that he also given a set of keys to the tenants in the house next door (which are also his tenants) in order to go in and do some painting. But we had already agreed that we would be giving the property a lick of paint in some of the more tired rooms, this wouldn't have been a botch job as my partner is a painter/decorator. We never agreed to having anyone in.

What we have also learnt is that he has a tenancy starting on the 1st July, the day after we officially vacate the property AND HE HAS ALREADY GIVEN THEM A SET OF KEYS! Whilst we have stuff in there??!?!?! I mean surely that's illegal?!?! Right??

What I would like to do is refuse to carry out the additional work we verbally agreed to do, there is no inventory for him to make a comparison and I am almost tempted to ask for our additional rent back as he is giving keys out to all and sundry.

Basically, what are my rights as a tenant who isn't physically in the property but has paid to the end of the month? Can I refuse him additional access? Can I demand he nor anyone else enter? Can I without carrying out the work we offered to do as he has no inventory? Can he move someone in the next day after our tenancy has ended without doing any work himself? I feel like he is trying to get away with doing as little as possible which isn't surprising since we have been on at him for some time about some issues in the house which NEVER got fixed.

If you got this far thank you for reading and any input you have is much appreciated!

Best regards
    Someone who is trying to be as good a tenant as possible!!

Basically, what are my rights as a tenant who isn't physically in the property but has paid to the end of the month?
    You have the same rights as a tenant during the notice period as before.
    Can I refuse him additional access?
    Yes - you have the right to exclude anyone from the property. The landlord has a right to enter with 24 hours written notice.
    Can I demand he nor anyone else enter?
    As above,
    Can I without carrying out the work we offered to do as he has no inventory?
    You can, but the lack of inventory makes it difficult to prove a claim, it doesn't stop the landlord making a claim. So it would probably delay things.
    If you think there's a chance that the landlord will try and retain your deposit anyway, there's not much lost.
    Can he move someone in the next day after our tenancy has ended without doing any work himself?
    Yes.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

change the locks now; change them back at the end of the tenancy.

And as a general rule, give proper notice in writing and don't agree anything different unless it is to your benefit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X