Payment by letting agent of rent less fees received early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to clarify - the legal advice was that the tenancy had been granted once it was signed both parties (and that it was not necessary for the tenant to have taken up occupation for the tenancy to be granted).
    As it happens, in our case, the tenant was already in occupation as the problem of non-release of rental monies ahead of the tenancy start date was for an extension of tenancy.

Comment

My understanding is that it has to be executed as as deed for that to happen. In any case, I think most of the landlords here would let tenancy go periodic.

For many purposes, the renewal is a new tenancy.

Comment

While it might sound nit-picking, there is a difference between granting a tenancy and a tenancy coming into being and it isn't possible to "extend" a tenancy.

However, if the tenant is already in place, pretty much everything written in response to your original question is wrong or academic.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Interesting that you say that “ if the tenant is already in place, pretty much everything written in response to your original question is wrong or academic”.
          So, how would you respond knowing this, i.e. if the tenant is already in place, with both parties having signed a new tenancy agreement and the tenant having paid the full year’s rent in advance to the letting agent, all well in advance of the new tenancy start date, should the letting agent release the rent, less management fees, to the landlord within 5 days of receiving the rent (i.e. in accordance with the management agreement) or is the letting agent correct to assert that “until the tenancy has commenced, rental payments are not legally due to the landlord and will not be paid”, i.e. until on or after the tenancy start date?
          The legal advice I received stated that the letting agent should, in these circumstances, pay 5 days after receipt of the Moreno themselves, even if this is well in advance (by 3 weeks) of the new tenancy start date.

Comment

Gremlins - read rent monies in lieu of “Moreno”!

Comment

What the letting agent has to do with the money is governed by the agreement you have with the letting agent, there's no governing legislation (as far as I know) and, while it's possible there's some best practice statements by trade bodies, they're unlikely to be legally binding.

If whoever gave you the legal advice has read the terms of the agent's agreement with you, I'd guess that's where the 5 days figure has come from, otherwise, I have no idea.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes, I told the lawyer that the management agreement states payment to landlord within 5 days of receipt by the agent.
                So, what has changed from your earlier advice that what I was trying to achieve "probably isn't legal" (see your post no.3)? Is it just the fact that the tenant is already in place?

Comment

Pretty much.

You can't have rent for a tenancy due before it starts. So a payment before a tenancy starts isn't rent until it falls due.
                  It has to be some kind of deposit - and there's a good chance it would be a holding deposit (and it's too high a value for that for a new tenancy).

I don't think that it is actually a holding deposit, but someone might decide that it is.
                  However, an existing tenancy wouldn't be subject to the limit on a holding deposit (although that will change next year), so that's simply not an issue.

If it's not a holding deposit, the money requires protecting within 30 days of reciept, which would be an issue if it was the first tenancy, because you would obviously never protect the deposit and it would be transformed into rent when the rent became due.
                  And if the tenancy didn't start that could be problematic.
                  Again, it's not possible for some kind of tenancy to start unless the tenant moved out at the end of the previous agreement, which would be inconsistent with them paying a year's worth of rent.

And any tenancy agreement with rent due before the start of a tenancy is a legal nonsense, but it's much less of a practical concern if the tenancy is a replacement tenancy.

And, if the agent should pay you within 5 days of their receiving the money, they should.
                  More concerningly, I don't see why they wouldn't.
                  They can't use it for anything, they can't earn interest with it and it's just sitting there in a bank account waiting to be transferred.

Comment

I also note a previous comment (post No.17 by leaseholder17) that "most of the landlords here would let the tenancy go periodic". I am personally against this, as I have no control over when the property comes available for letting to a new tenant. For example, I like to avoid a property coming onto the market again in November & December as I have noticed a marked reluctance of tenants to commit just before Christmas - higher end properties (and possible all properties) remain on the market unoccupied longer at that time of year. i much prefer a 12 month renewal, with an end date at the right time of the year (spring/early summer).

Comment

Not suprisngly I am confused about new Ts and how original 12 month advance was described inAST.
                      Does your Agent have a specific date each month for disbursement of received monies to LL?
                      Within 5 days of receipt could compromise Agent's visbility.

Comment

The rent for 12 months is not an "advance", but payment in full for 1 year in accordance with the special clause in the TA which states "Notwithstanding the Principal Terms in respect of the rental payments, the tenant agrees to pay the sum of ...........in respect of (the full year with dates given) on or before (the date 21 days prior to the tenancy start)".
                        Why would payment within 5 days of receipt "compromise Agent's visibility"? I am not sure what you mean.

Comment

Based on that term, any statutory periodic tenancy that did arise would probably be annual (rather than monthly).

Comment

Additional thanks for your contributions. It looks as though my complaint against the letting agent will go its full course through to The Property Ombudsman (unless the agent has a rethink in the next few days with all the extra ammunition I've provided over the past week or two).
                            I've looked at the TPO website and understand the process, timescales etc. My query is - to anyone who's been through the process - how frequency do the TPO improve on the 16-18 week turnaround time for a decision (i.e. from referral), how do you rate their decision for fairness and any other points that you might wish to highlight from your experience?

Comment

That's "frequently", not frequency!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                                by Lawcruncher
                                I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                                27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                              • Is time more important than money?
                                by jpucng62
                                Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                                Garden was left in a mess...
                                27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by MdeB
                                That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                                Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                                27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                                by Beeble
                                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by Lawcruncher
                                The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                                27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by Piffy
                                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                                by AndrewDod
                                Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                                27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                              • Inherited a few rentals
                                by Landlord7289
                                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by DoricPixie
                                Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                                27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                                by Hudson01
                                Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                                27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                              Working...
                              X