AST Break clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST Break clause

I have an AST with 4 tenants, one of whom wishes to leave. I am considering an assignment rather that a new tenancy to maintain flexibility. Th original tenancy wording is "12 month term beginning on 1st April with an option to break on 1st October 2019"

If I sign an assignment with the agreement of all parties, using a standard template such as NLA, would I be in a position to serve a section 21 notice on 1st August 2019 if I wish to regain possession?

many thanks

sorry, I forgot to add '2019' after 1st April

Comment

I wouldn't recommend an assignment and would create a new tenancy agreement and end the previous one formally.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi thank you for this -can you expand your explanation further. Obviously a new agreement would commit me to a minimum 6 month term

Comment

Handling deposits is messy with assignments, as the deposit and any damage runs from the start of the original tenancy. The new partial tenant has to be make a private arrangement with the outgoing one, but is technically responsible for the damage they caused, when the overall tenancy ends.

Comment

Thank you for this - if I can get the incoming tenant to agree to this, given the wording described in my original post, would I be able to serve notice on 1st August 2019 ie 4 months after the tenant began and 2 months before the break clause date?
            thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Vikesh View Post
              Hi thank you for this -can you expand your explanation further. Obviously a new agreement would commit me to a minimum 6 month term
              Break clauses are your get out of jail card for that.

The start point is that the tenant can't leave without your consent, they're stuck until October.

Your break clause is a bit loose - "an option to break" doesn't actually mean anything you could rely on.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It would be a new tenancy (not a replacement) if one of the tenants is changing, so the OP is correct that there would be a minimum 6 month term.

Comment

Why would it be a minimum of 6 months?

There's no minimum term for an AST, it's just that notice under s21 can't be served in the first four months.
                  But break clauses aren't notices under s21.
                  If the tenant decides not to honour a break notice given by the landlord, the s21 process might be relevant as part of a repossession.
                  But we're pretty much at 4 months by October anyway.

If the tenancy agreement is periodic from the start, the tenant can give notice from whenever the break clause allows it (which I suspect is their issue).

It's more complex than it looks.
                  If the remaining tenants are staying there and paying the extra rent, just leave things as they are.
                  If they are moving someone else in, let them be a lodger until this agreement ends.
                  And then create a new agreement afterwards.

Comment

Yes, that's really what I meant. That the OP would be committed to a minimum 6 month term if the tenant chooses not to leave even with an AST of less than 6 months.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                      srclinton
                      I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
                      21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
                    • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                      srclinton
                      All noted. Thank you all....
                      22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
                    • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                      kaidranzer
                      Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
                      11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
                    • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                      Sydney
                      Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
                      22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
                    • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                      Orangesandlemons
                      Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
                      22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
                    • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                      AndrewDod
                      - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
                      22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
                    • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                      Joe.K
                      Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
                      The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
                      20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
                    • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                      Joe.K
                      Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
                      22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
                    • Agent ignoring periodic option
                      oakhill
                      My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
                      I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
                      I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
                      21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
                    • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
                      doobrey
                      Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
                      22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
                    Working...
                    X