Shared electrical supply debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared electrical supply debt

My daughter asked for a prepayment meter when she moved in three years ago, the energy company told her they couldn't install one as the layout of the building and way meters were installed made it impossible, part of the building is a pub, she has now been told she has a debt of £4000 which has been passed to a debt agency, and she has to pay £130 for a tiny flat with two night storage heaters she hasn't used.....help....

You don't get "told" you have a debt of £4000.
    How did she run up that amount of debt?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      You don't get "told" you have a debt of £4000. How did she run up that amount of debt?
      Possibly a certain celtic supplier who can't get their billing right.

I've had problems with them since 2014 when they started sending invoices, with 'no action required' so wouldn't accept any payments.
      Every time I contacted them about it all I got was "Wait for your next bill".
      (Long story).
      You do have consumer rights if they are not billing correctly so:
      Eventually in 2017 after a long e-mail exchange I threatened to take them to court, at which time they realised they were at fault, paid themselves £5K plus from their own charity fund and cleared down my 'account'.

I haven't had a bill from them since and everytime I've tried to get something sorted it just been another case of "Wait for your next bill".
      I've even tried to set up direct payment from my disability benefit, but as there is no bill there is no outstanding balance, so the DWP won't set it up.
      Frustrating to say the least when I know another large total is running up.

They can't fit a pre-payment meter because it's in the lock-up shop below the flat.

Oh, but they can still bombard me by text, e-mail, phone calls, and letters urging me to get a smart meter installed.

Anyway; we seem to have gone off-topic here.

Comment

Thankyou, I appreciate the response nukecad, that just about sums up my daughters experience, yes she should have done more, but she is only young, I will get on to the company and threaten them with court action, what annoys me more is the letting agent has sat on his hands and done nothing to sort the situation, a pre payment meter would have avoided all this, but quite how they arrive at this figure when she has little in her small flat is beyond me, I need them to prove its just her usage, so I will now begin to try and sort it, thankyou again...

Comment

Originally posted by Mojacar man View Post
          My daughter asked for a prepayment meter when she moved in three years ago, the energy company told her they couldn't install one as the layout of the building and way meters were installed made it impossible, part of the building is a pub, she has now been told she has a debt of £4000 which has been passed to a debt agency, and she has to pay £130 for a tiny flat with two night storage heaters she hasn't used.....help....
          Utility nightmare.....

Comment

The problem is not my daughter not paying, rather than why was a prepayment meter refused due to problems with the public house electrics, is she paying for more than her share, considering the debt on a tiny two bed flat with hardly any electrics that work, I would say so......how to get this checked and get a new meter installed is the question...

Comment

If the flat has a separate meter can you fit a smart meter (which should register zero activity if everything is turned off)?

A usual suspect for unexpectedly high utility charges is night storage heaters on the wrong tariff (or wired to the wrong circuit) or just a terrible tariff.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It would be more of a case that they were not allowed to install a PP meter where she couldn't access it (24/7) to top up, etc.

Presumably the meters were in the pub, and even if she had a key to get in at any time that key could always be taken off her by a future licencee.

PS. If they have not been billing correctly then they can't charge more than 12 months backbilling, of course they hope that you don't know that.
                (That's part of what I was arguing with my supplier, and I'll probably have to use it again in my current situation).
                However if they have been billing correctly and she simply hasn't paid.....

It's know as the '12 month backbilling principle': https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/h...de-your-rights

Comment

So the total debt was £4000 and her share was assessed at £130 for her usage?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X