Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant choosing not to pay rent!

Hi

I have issued my tenant with notice to leave the house as they did not pay rent. She lost her job and couldn't afford to live there and I was sympathetic to them re this. I have since found out that they had enough money in the bank to pay the rent but have chosen not too! They still have a few weeks in the flat and are deemed to have made themselves homeless through non payment of rent etc. Is there anyway that I can speed up their removal?. This seems grossly unfair, as I am in debt and no doubt they are saving their housing benefit etc for the next place. I am tempted to contact the whomever pays housing benefit and advise them what this couple are doing. I am also thinking that now may be the time to start court action to try and recover arrears. At least I know where they currently live. Any thoughts please? Thanks

If you are in debt, it means that you did not have adequate reserves in the first place.

In their circumstances, it will probably pay them to wait it out till the bailiffs. If there is any chance that they will find another landlord, it is not in your selfish interest to rock the boat, although doing so may be in the wider public interest.

Comment

Your notice doesn't end the tenancy, so you may have to go to court to remove them.
      Unless your tenant has agreed to it, it's unlikely the housing department will discuss the tenant's situation with you.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you. I am not expecting housing to discuss the tenants situation with me however I am very tempted to let them know that they are claiming money for rent and not paying it. I shall see how it pans out

Comment

I would take the time to ensure they had a nice CCJ to prevent them gaining credit in the future, this is the minimum i would do.

Comment

You used to be able to get the old Housing Benefit paid directly to you as LL if the tenant did not pay for 8 weeks. I did this once. The tenant was absolutely furious that I had taken away her spending money.....
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Fiona it sounds like you haven't adequately planned , how are you in debt ?

I think its possible to have housing benefit paid directly to you to get them out you have to issue s21 , then claim from them unpaid rent .I would join RLA and use advice line . Its excellent .

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                You used to be able to get the old Housing Benefit paid directly to you as LL if the tenant did not pay for 8 weeks. I did this once. The tenant was absolutely furious that I had taken away her spending money.....
                Nice one I would have loved to see their faces when it happened. Of course I'm sure they put the pressure on you by saying my children can't eat now or go to school

Comment

Although I have a question is it possible if you issue an S21 cannot Chase a tenant for unpaid rent?

Comment

The two processes are completely separate.

The issue with chasing for unpaid rent through the courts is that you're best advised to wait until you know the final amount owed.
                    Courts don't like a series of connected claims for overdue rent.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Isn't this still the case? OP I would just contact the council NOW and inform them of the rent arrears. Keep it brief and factual. You've a far better chance this way of getting the rent than going after them via the courts at a later point.

Comment

Wainwright I was not sure if the rules had changed since I did this but may be worth a try!
                        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

If they are getting HB or UC housing element then what they actually spend it on is their choice, if they don't pay their rent they will be evicted.
                          The council/DWP will not be interested in that at all.

If they are claiming benefit for their rent then you have to know which benefit it is.
                          There are 2 different ones in force and people confuse things by using just Housing Benefit for them both.

The rules for direct payment of Housing Benefit (from the council) to LLs are still the same as they always were.

However with Universal Credit Housing Element (from the DWP) the rules are different.
                          The qualifying rules for a LL to ask for direct payments are similar, but the 'Managed Payment to Landlord' itself is different.
                          See Section 8 of this guide for landlords:
                          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-for-landlords

Comment

Wainwright I was not sure if the rules had changed since I did this but may be worth a try!
                            So did I! On only a (albeit fairly strong) suspicion T was in receipt of LHA, I called the council and told them he had stopped paying rent! They suspended the claim from there on. Just knew he was planning on doing a runner (minus the rent, in this case!) and turned out again I was right. So yes, def worth a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Wainwright View Post
                              So did I! On only a (albeit fairly strong) suspicion T was in receipt of LHA, I called the council and told them he had stopped paying rent! They suspended the claim from there on. Just knew he was planning on doing a runner (minus the rent, in this case!) and turned out again I was right. So yes, def worth a shot!
                              The will have stopped paying him HB because he has left the property; not because he wasn't passing it on to you.

The law is clear on this, as long as the tenant is living in the property then they are entitled to claim, and be paid, HB or UC-HE benefit. (If they meet the other qualifying conditions).

Once that benefit is paid it becomes the tenants money and there is no obligation in law that the tenant actually passes it on to the LL.

We frequently see LLs here who don't seem to understand that simple legal principle.
                              It's the claimants right to claim and be paid benefit, not the LLs. Any benefit paid belongs to the claimant not the LL.
                              What the claimant then does with that benefit income is then up to the claimant, just as what a working person does with their income is up to them.

This is made clearer with UC-HE than it was with HB. (Although it was still aways the case with HB as well).
                              Although a LL (or T) can apply to have rent benefit paid directly he does not have a right to insist on it. (Even if the T is in arrears).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Problems with a Management Agency
                                BlueMystery
                                My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
                                11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
                              • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
                                leaseholder64
                                It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
                                16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
                              • licensee vs tenant
                                imjustbait
                                i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
                                07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
                              • Reply to licensee vs tenant
                                imjustbait
                                before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
                                16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
                              • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
                                BlueMystery
                                As an update ** I would appreciate comments on the legality of the following statement received by my son in an email from the Agents today ***

They have listed the fees they want to levy on him from his deposit and have cited the following statement

"£50 + vat for XYZ...
                                16-09-2019, 20:08 PM
                                KTC

How on earth did the landlord's claim get struck out when you didn't bother to turn up?

16-09-2019, 20:05 PM
                                imjustbait
                                I have received general form of order from the courts.

The update was, upon hearing the council for the claimant, and upon mr joe bloggs not attending....

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1) CLAIM IS STRUCK OUT

What does that ACTUALLY mean? who came...
                                16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
                              • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                                alenuk
                                Wondering if someone can help me here.
                                I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
                                Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
                                email to council
                                16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
                              • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                                cancan
                                Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
                                16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
                              • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                                JK0
                                Ah, forget it buddy. Even if you attend, you stand little chance against landlord hating judges. But not attending? Not even worth the court fees.
                                16-09-2019, 19:27 PM
                              Working...
                              X