Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric meter access

Hi

hopefully a quick question, can I lock the communal electric cupboard?

Access would be through the local agent?

This is is to stop tampering with the meters?

thanks

If any resident has a pre-pay meter in there then you have to allow them access so that they can top it up, reset it if it's run out, etc.

There would also be a safetey issue, if it's locked then they can't turn off the supply in an emergency.

I should think from a safety point of view you could only do it if there is a keyholder/key avaiable on site 24/7.
    A key kept at a (only open office hours) agents office some distance away would seem unacceptable.

If you've had a problem with meter tampering then that's a criminal offence, report and evict the responsible party.

Comment

Whilst I would warn you that there is a good chance that a resident will come here complaining and is likely to get a sympathetic response, you would normally have to a special type of lock which is more to keep children out than to secure against determined adults. If there are switches or company fuses, you will definitely need that sort of lock and not a very secure one. As the meter reader and fire brigade about such locks.

Incidentally, I think that smart meters avoid the need to physically access a pre-pay meter.

Comment

You can usually access pre-pay smart meters by wireless to top them up but the laws regarding physical access have not been changed.

Presumably that's because wifi is still not 100% guaranteed to work in all cases.

You still have to be able to press the 'emergency credit' button to get the supply back on if it's out of hours.

And as things stand then if you switch provider then the meter becomes dumb again.

Comment

There are currently 2 different types of smart meter. SMETS 1 and SMETS 2

SMETS 1 which communicate over 3G, are no good if you change utility supplier, the meter becomes a zombie meter and unable to connect with new supplier if you change.

SMETS 2 know been rolled out, communicate over a Government data network, easier change suppliers too.

https://moneyhighstreet.com/why-not-...meters-fitted/

Pre payment smart meters, are topped up by mobile app, on line or post office, pay point or pay zone depend on which suppliers you use.
          Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Originally posted by Letmein View Post
            Hi

can I lock the communal electric cupboard?
            Is it just meters, or consumer units/fuse boxes as well?

Is this HMO or block of flats?

Comment

It depends on the type of tenancy and the tenancy agreement.

"Common areas" sounds HMO-ish and therefore what constitutes common areas to which tenants have access will be contractual.
              If the tenancy is rent a room with access to common areas, there's no opportunity for the tenant to switch utility supplier.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi

This is a block of flats (not a HMO).

The meters are sub meters (there is one energy supply meter which splits into each flats sub wifi/3g meter - to allow top ups). As such they do not need access to the sub meters or main meter.

The consumer box and isolation switches are in the same cupboard.

Unsure of the tenancy agreements as they are not mine, I only own the freehold.

Emergency credit is automatically used so now need to press a button.

Thanks

Comment

If you're the freeholder, the answer should be in your leases.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The residents will require access to the circuit breakers and isolation switch without having to go through a third party.

Comment

The meters are sub meters (there is one energy supply meter which splits into each flats sub wifi/3g meter - to allow top ups). As such they do not need access to the sub meters or main meter.
                      Fine as long as their wifi/3g is working, which it may not be if the power has gone off.

Comment

Hi

This is a block of flats (not a HMO).

The consumer box and isolation switches are in the same cupboard.

Unsure of the tenancy agreements as they are not mine, I only own the freehold.

Emergency credit is automatically used so now need to press a button.

Thanks
                        LL selling Gas and Electric is covered by this https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publication...d-october-2005..

From 1 January 2003 the maximum price at which gas or electricity may be resold is the same price as that paid by the person who is reselling it ("the reseller"), including any standing charges.
                        https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/defau...ateoct05_3.pdf
                        Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X