Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    They pay the market rent

The question about what I would do if he stopped paying rent?
    If I evicted him, he'd be moving back in here anyway.
    If your son is paying the market rent, and has no trouble paying the market rent, as you say,
    then he should be able to find another property at market rent, no problem.

There is no need to go overboard and offer free accommodation if he is evicted.
    He has to stand on his own two feet, like the rest of us did.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
      There is no need to go overboard and offer free accommodation if he is evicted.
      He has to stand on his own two feet, like the rest of us did.
      He's actually paying slightly less than the market rent, because I deduct the fees I'd otherwise pay my agent.
      I get the same income, he gets a cheaper place to live.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
        srclinton
        I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
        21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
      • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
        srclinton
        All noted. Thank you all....
        22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
      • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
        kaidranzer
        Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
        11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
      • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
        Sydney
        Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
        22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
      • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
        Orangesandlemons
        Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
        22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
      • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
        AndrewDod
        - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
        22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
      • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
        Joe.K
        Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
        The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
        20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
      • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
        Joe.K
        Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
        22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
      • Agent ignoring periodic option
        oakhill
        My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
        I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
        I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
        21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
      • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
        doobrey
        Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
        22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
      Working...
      X