Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages

Hi,

Have a tenant moving out after 11 yrs 6 mths - always paid rent and no problems during duration of tenancy.

However they are moving out and there are quite a few problems with damages. Nothing malicious but its adding up. Can anyone give me guidance on whether I should hold back deposit...items are:

Window Roller blinds : nearly all are broken, the string has snapped not the wooden slats broken, are approximately 13 years old
    Curtain rods - a lot of have been replaced with cheaper items as they have come off walls , originals are 15 years old
    Carpets - all pretty grey - 15 years old
    Walls - grubby - blue tack on 4 walls -decorated 13 years ago
    garden furniture - completely rotted away
    Lost locks on front window - wooden frames in a bad condition through age
    Shower fitting - comes off wall through cracked wall mounting - 15 years old

Otherwise they have professionally cleaned.

Advice welcome

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    You'd expect a spade to last about a decade (at least before the handle needs replacing)
    I would expect a spade handle to last 40+ years, unless it was left out in the rain (=damage).

And the blade of the spade to last much longer.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    "One window frame splintered on bottom."
    You're responsible for this repair.
    Whilst LL is responsible for the repair, if the damage was caused by action of the T or T's guest, then T is responsible for the cost of the repair.

However, if it is because it is a wooden frame that has not been painted, then LL is responsible for the cost.

Leave a comment:

• midlandslandlord
    replied
    This is an hilarious thread. Sounds like a T who did everything right except enforce their Rights.

At least the T did not leave 150 bottles of pee in the bathroom. Which has been known.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Surely this has to be a reverse - the tenant's landlord is saying this and the tenant wants to know if they are being unreasonable in refusing alld deductions?

If you are the tenant - dont give them a penny and check the deposit was properly protected.

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
    I'm surprised at some of these responses and my frustration grows.

OK, I can live with u ironed curtains, but when they had house professionally cleaned the bottom of the curtains got wet and now smell musty.

Got the letting agency to do another inventory checkout and my position gets worse. They now say everything is fair wear and tear! That includes a missing knob on a light switch, a peeling patch of paint in front room...... And they now say the carpets should have been replaced at least once in 13 years but that's not in the tennancy agreement!

I don't think I'm being unreasonable and the deposit would put everything back to the original state... Almost!

I've 4 days to move in now and a load to do.
    A question seeing as everybody on here thinks you are being unreasonable seeing as the estate agent inventory check says that you are being unreasonable, why do you think this is?

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    And I'm surprised that you didn't choose 'Sheriff Fatman' as your username.

Leave a comment:

• Welshie
    replied
    I'm surprised at some of these responses
    Why? You've had 11.5 years of a regular income stream and it appears no outgoing costs associated to it. Guarantee that when your tenant left the property, that was the first time in 11.5 years you've been to the property.

OK, I can live with u ironed curtains, but when they had house professionally cleaned the bottom of the curtains got wet and now smell musty.
    Your tenant wasted their money professionally cleaning the property, I think you should reimburse them the cost.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable
    Well you obviously are and I don't think you'll find many who would agree with you. Even the Estate Agent you used agrees. That says something.

Why do anything? You were happy for your tenant to pay you to live in it without doing any maintenance, so why don't you live in it in the state it's in? If you thought the property was good enough for your tenant, it should be more than good enough for you.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You can't have everything put back to the original state.
    When you let the property you did so knowing that the tenant would be living there, so that fair wear and tear is implicit in the agreement.

So you are due the property in the condition that it would be after 13 years of use by the tenant.

A tenant with a landlord who didn't do the basic redecoration and maintenance.
    How often do you replace your own carpets and repaint?

So far, I'm liking this agent.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFL
    replied

Got the letting agency to do another inventory checkout and my position gets worse. They now say everything is fair wear and tear! That includes a missing knob on a light switch, a peeling patch of paint in front room...... And they now say the carpets should have been replaced at least once in 13 years but that's not in the tennancy agreement!

I don't think I'm being unreasonable and the deposit would put everything back to the original state... Almost!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Ha
    When I typed that I did think, not if you're camping.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    I think not.
    JP - "There's a difference between a toilet and a spade" - so that is where I have been going wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Claymore
    replied
    Seriously??

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Garden spade missing. Wear and tear value over 10 years residual value £0

Rotary clothings line totally tangled beyond use. , how long were you expecting this to last ?

Top part of cupboard out in shed and one leg smashed. One leg of the cupboard smashed please clarify ?

One window frame splintered on bottom. Wear and tear

Shoddy DIY paint job on one wall without permission. What makes you say its shoddy

Probably 10 nail holes in various walls. Petty , you are a nig boy and can fix this

Massive compost heap at back of garden.
    Rod missing on bottom of roller blinds. Its 10 years plus old and probably very manly due to wear and tear get rid of it

Curtains washed but un-ironed. How much should they pay in compensation

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    I really really hope you have protected the deposit properly. If you haven't and a judge sees these deductions expect three times deposit to be taken in compensation

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    It's not funny.

I've to move back in 1 week and because of personal circumstances I'm pretty short of money.

An unironed curtain is one more thing I need to do. It's in the agreement they will be dry cleaned not washed on exit.

Buying a spade is one more purchase I have to make.

Again, the 'compost heap' is about 4 x 4 foot and looks like its pretty fresh with green grass clippings.
    What do I do with that!?

To add insult to injury the ex tennents are also paying the '13 year' card and are only offering a few hundred as a 'Good will gesture'!!! when it will cost me more to make good.

My asking for the full deposit (well over 1.5k) is only about an additional £10pm over the duration of the tenancy. That is not a lot to ask for.

I'm also going to complain to the letting agency as they also seem to be on the tennents side!!
    BUT did you put that the curtains mist be ironed ? If not they have followed the agreement which is to clean then ?, no ?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Oven light not working
    artin
    Hi
    I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
    Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
    20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
  • Reply to Oven light not working
    AndrewDod
    What a dreadful waste and environmental disaster that would be. Every appliance would have to be replaced when one small aspect of it became non-repairable. One would not do that as a normal homeowner (throw out perfectly good and safe ovens with a minor defect, a whole refrigerator with a small crack...
    20-10-2019, 21:05 PM
  • Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    Flashback1966
    I had a property viewing. The agency told me the prospective tenant is a woman. No one came. Agency was unable to contact the woman. I was about to leave, when about half an hour later, a man rang the door bell.

He was a heavily built Bulgarian man. He was well dressed and wearing a...
    20-10-2019, 17:03 PM
  • Reply to Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    AndrewDod
    Anyway if there is a broadband connection it would be worth setting up a £50 webcam in unoccupied properties....
    20-10-2019, 20:53 PM
  • Reply to Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    Hudson01
    Agree with ash72 i would not have allowed HIM in when i was expecting a female, i too would forget about squatting and be concerned about other criminal activities should it be let to them...... i would also be speaking with the agent to check their vetting procedures.
    20-10-2019, 20:43 PM
    artin
    The T said the mattress is still sealed, company said they won't take it back if used for hygiene reasons. I am still waiting for the refund, takes 2 weeks. It was bed base and mattress set deal, the base was discounted to half price so I have to pay full price for the base as I am keeping it plus they...
    20-10-2019, 20:05 PM
    artin
    I bought the same exact bed set base and mattress 6 years ago from the same place for another tenant and never complained. This T moved in and within hours he called the estate agent and told them to it's too soft and can't sleep on it and the agent asked me to replace it as if I am hotel, I did replace...
    20-10-2019, 19:48 PM
    Flashback1966
    Consider yourself lucky, you had a repair to the grill, which you managed to postpone for a long time. Having the oven repaired, it seems unfortunate the bulb needs replacing. If you are worried about the bulb holder, may be the oven needed replacing? So you are chasing good money after bad. Sometimes,...
    20-10-2019, 19:34 PM
  • Notice Period
    Dazzadog
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can advise.

We've been renting our property since 27/07/09, initially for a term of 12 months after which it was never renewed. The initial contract states the following:

'To end this agreement two months written notice will need to be given...
    20-10-2019, 11:39 AM
  • Reply to Notice Period
    Lawcruncher
    • 1) By making it clear in the original tenancy agreement that the tenancy will become a “contractual periodic tenancy” after the fixed period (the word “contractual” should be stated).

I agree that the agreement needs to be clear, but not that he word “contractual” should be stated.
    20-10-2019, 19:16 PM
Working...
X