• Show
Clear All

• Welshie
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
    Advice welcome
    I'm going to go after them.
    So you weren't really after advice, just wanted someone to agree that going after your tenants deposit was ok. You've stated that most is due to age (you have given the age of the items), so what makes you think the life expectancy of the items hasn't diminished to zero?

How much of your tenants deposit are you expecting to withhold and what are you apportioning to what and why?

Were you expecting the carpet to be in tip top shape after 15 years? Were you hoping that after a 11 and a half year tenancy that you could use them for another 15 years?

11 and a half years worth of rent and it appears you haven't really spent anything on maintenance and you want your tenants deposit too?

Nothing malicious
    Otherwise they have professionally cleaned.
    Advice welcome
    Mine would be, give them back their deposit. Also, I'd say they wasted their money having the place professionally cleaned, as you would need to replace the carpets, etc due to age anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFL
    replied
    I'm going to go after them. That they've been living in the property for nearly 12 years doesn't matter. I've found they put up a coat hook on a door, didn't ask me for permission. Also they replaced the letterbox and there is a stain on the carpet by he back door.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    I would have expected to address all of those long ago.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    No point even contemplating any deductions as no deposit scheme would entertain it. Sounds like you've neglected the property too. Rotting window frames and a cracked shower housing are definitely landlord responsibilities anyway unless deliberately damaged by tenants and the problems should have been picked up during routine inspections.

Leave a comment:

• SE_Renter
    replied
    completely agree. You've been incredibly fortunate that the departing tenants haven't requested these issues to have been resolved during their tenancy.

Suggest you return the deposit in full and start carrying out the maintenance that you've been neglecting for years.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    So, you haven't replaced any of these items, or redecorated, for at least 13 years?

I would say that the reasonable deduction, taking into account fair wear and tear, comes to a total of absolutely nothing.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
    aco19
    Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago burglars broke into my rental property late evening. The tenants were not home. There was damage to the back door. The tenants called the police, who then called a repair man for the door. The tenants did call me, but it was 3am and I was asleep and did not...
    16-09-2019, 13:20 PM
  • Reply to Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
    AndrewDod
    I think we need more information from the OP to answer this at all. OP, what exactly was the condition of the entrance --

a) What was damaged exactly?
    b) What was repaired exactly?
    c) What was the minimum that could have been done to secure the door against intruders?
    16-09-2019, 20:30 PM
  • Objection to letting a garage
    steve-123
    I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage...
    16-09-2019, 20:26 PM
  • Problems with a Management Agency
    BlueMystery
    My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
    11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
  • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
    leaseholder64
    It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
    16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
  • licensee vs tenant
    imjustbait
    i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
    07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
  • Reply to licensee vs tenant
    imjustbait
    before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
    16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
  • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
    BlueMystery
    As an update ** I would appreciate comments on the legality of the following statement received by my son in an email from the Agents today ***

They have listed the fees they want to levy on him from his deposit and have cited the following statement

"£50 + vat for XYZ...
    16-09-2019, 20:08 PM
    KTC

How on earth did the landlord's claim get struck out when you didn't bother to turn up?

16-09-2019, 20:05 PM
    imjustbait
    I have received general form of order from the courts.

The update was, upon hearing the council for the claimant, and upon mr joe bloggs not attending....

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1) CLAIM IS STRUCK OUT

What does that ACTUALLY mean? who came...
    16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
Working...
X