X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    I can't recall one dangerously (or even mildly) close question.
    To be fair, most of them are framed as "My landlord is trying to claim for a complete redecoration after 5 years", but there have been a number of threads like this one, but they tend to be short lived.

This is one of the more outrageous examples!

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    If it is a wind up, it's dangerously close to the attitude of a number of other (presumably genuine) questions.
    I can't recall one dangerously (or even mildly) close question.
    There have been loads asking what is allowed and reasonable, but none trying to screw over the tenant.
    And this one was roundly condemned by all landlords bothering to reply.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Giving sensible responses helps people even if the original post is meant as a wind up.
    One of the benefits of operating as a forum.

If it is a wind up, it's dangerously close to the attitude of a number of other (presumably genuine) questions.
    Unless my other theory that you're all computers pretending to be people to keep me out of the way is true...

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Blinko- Some people are taken in by such blatant nonsense and then use it as 'evidence' to justify things like kneejerk deposit protection legislation, scrapping section 21, more and more power to tenants etc.
    All without thought of the consequences.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Blinko - some weird people enjoy watching others be shocked about things they say and enjoy the show.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    After 13 years I doubt there is much in the flat that has any residual value. Certainly not carpets and other high wear items. So hopefully the landlord will get full current value when he sues

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    if it is a windup, why would anyone pull such a stunt , its not even funny :-/

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    someone is pulling your (roller blind) strings folks!

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    This thread demonstrates why deposit protection legislation was brought in. Landlords refusing to return deposits came into three broad categories: those who treated a deposit as extra rent; those who exaggerated their claims; those with unreasonable expectations. The OP has unreasonable expectations.

It also demonstrates a downside to tenancies with no security of tenure: there is no incentive on the tenant to keep the property nice as a section 21 notice may land on the doormat at any time. In the 1970's I rented and so did many acquaintenances. We all decorated regularly.

It also indicates the increasing tendency of landlords to want to control what their tenants do in the property. To penalise tenants for making minor improvements like putting hooks on the back of a door or putting up pictures is going too far.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    To be fair, it is possible that the sitting tenant might have been offered replacement carpets etc during the tenancy but chose not to suffer the disruption.

Unlikely though because that would strongly suggest that the landlord knew that they should be paying for these.

Perhaps 'daveg' is correct.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    How much rent have you received from these tolerant Ts in 11.5 years?
    How much have you saved in maintenance costs & expected voids over the same period?

Leave a comment:

• alice123
    replied
    Window Roller blinds : nearly all are broken, the string has snapped not the wooden slats broken, are approximately 13 years old
    Curtain rods - a lot of have been replaced with cheaper items as they have come off walls , originals are 15 years old
    Carpets - all pretty grey - 15 years old
    Walls - grubby - blue tack on 4 walls -decorated 13 years ago
    garden furniture - completely rotted away
    Lost locks on front window - wooden frames in a bad condition through age
    Shower fitting - comes off wall through cracked wall mounting - 15 years old

maybe this is why he left - nothing was ever repaired -

I would think the only thing worth claiming for would be for the lost locks (dont you mean keys ???)

I would think yourself lucky to have a tenant that replaced a few bits like a curtain hook ect
    Most of mine painted everything bright colours without permission, and did all sorts of things , painted over my wooden panels with pale pink paint and the agent didnt mention all these things -

I would give the tenant the whole of the deposit back not worth the hassle of a few hooks

Leave a comment:

• daveg
    replied
    I don't think joefl is serious - Joe have you been on the forum before with a different username?

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Wow you are so lucky to have got away with doing so little for so long and they've even bought stuff like a new letterbox

as above you are lucky to have had such good tenants that have done all of these things in your property and the thing is that you are trying to claim a ridiculous you are claiming that a hook on a door is worth deducting from deposit if this is the case how much would you like to deduct from the deposit?

also how has the hook on the door affected the value of the property?

what kind of state were you expecting a 15 year old carpet to be in?

overall I have to ask why you expecting the property to be in the exact same condition that you initially rented it in?

do you not see how lucky you have been with the tenants?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
    I'm going to go after them. That they've been living in the property for nearly 12 years doesn't matter. I've found they put up a coat hook on a door, didn't ask me for permission. Also they replaced the letterbox and there is a stain on the carpet by he back door
    It matters quite a lot.
    Any claim you make depends on the value of the item damaged adjusted for the normal loss in value over time.

Any claim you make has to be on one of two bases.
    Either something specifically mentioned in the tenancy agreement or on the basis of a loss in value to your property beyond fair wear and tear.

The blinds (5 - 8 years lifetime), curtain rods (8-10 years), carpets (5 - 7 years) and garden furniture (5 years) are all older than their expected lifetime, so there's no possible loss in value.
    They all needed replacing several years ago.

The windows and shower fitting are your responsability to maintain, not the tenants. So there's no possible loss to you.

The coat hook isn't a loss in value (unless they took the hook with them), so again, no loss.
    The letterbox was your responsibility (no tenant in their right mind replaces a letterbox unless its broken).
    And, again, the carpet is worthless (assuming it's the same age as the rest).

You're trying to claim for damage to things that have no value.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X