X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    So in the case of the missing spade, the OP would be entitled to at least some compensation.
    Otherwise I'm in full agreement.
    There's a difference between a toilet and a spade.
    If the toilet wears out (which seems unlikely), the landlord would be obliged to replace it.

If the spade wears out, the landlord probably isn't liable to replace it, but is the tenant?
    If the tenant decides to live without one, or replace it with one of their own which they've taken with them.

It's in the same grey area as washing machines and light bulbs.

Leave a comment:

• Stef Cooke
    replied
    I have that sort of dilemma all the time. On the face of it there it there is no quibble:

Broken = suggest proprtional compneastion charge

Missing = Tenant to replace (with an equally old knackered version!!)

But obviously that is NOT how it gets necessarily gets reported / assigned as that would be ridiculous!

But I do have landlord clients who have that mind set...

Leave a comment:

• Welshie
    replied
    So in the case of the missing spade, the OP would be entitled to at least some compensation.
    What if the spade broke and the tenant just chucked it away. I mean 11.5 years later and it's a good chance the spade might have broke. Not everything lasts forever.

Is the tenant supposed to keep all things that break or go past their usable life? For example, if the landlord provided a mattress and the tenant replaces the mattress after x years due to it no longer being fit for purpose, are they supposed to store it somewhere to return to the landlord after their tenancy ends?

Funnily enough, I've been renting the same place for about 11 years, I've had a few things break or pass their usable life in that time. Wondering now if I should have stored the items in the shed and hand them back to the landlord when I finally leave.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Otherwise I'm in full agreement.

(Obviously I'm just using the spade to emphasise the point, and the OP is 'aving a laff).

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
    To add insult to injury the ex tennents are also paying the '13 year' card and are only offering a few hundred as a 'Good will gesture'!!! when it will cost me more to make good.

I'm also going to complain to the letting agency as they also seem to be on the tennents side!!
    The tenant is playing the "13 year card" because they're right to do so, you can only claim compensation for a loss beyond fair wear and tear, and I can't see one.
    I can't see why they're offering anything, to be honest.

The letting agent seem to be on the tenant's side because the tenant is right,

Your best bet might be to ask the deposit protection company to review your claim as part of their dispute resolution process. Or take some legal advice.

Your own financial situation and need to move in soon aren't relevant to your claim.

The calculation for loss in value beyond fair wear and tear is for guidance only, a rule of thumb, something to be taken into consideration.
    It is, but the fundamental basis of compensation claims for a breach, is to put the injured party back to the position that they would have been in had the breach not occurred.
    And the approach I use is applicable to pretty much every claim here (and most arising on the forum recently).

And things for guidance only should really be used to guide us.
    I only keep repeating the point (which I should really save somewhere!) is that so many people seem to have so little clue about these kind of claims.
    I do understand that it must be irritating to people who are regulars to see me make the same point over and over.
    If a tenant throws an old bog (est lifespan 17 years) through an old window (est lifespan 25 years) and nicks the old copper piping attached (est lifespan 37 years), even though beyond their average lifespan, the landlord is entitled to compensation for a helluva lot more than nowt.
    And there's a situation when it might not be appropriate.

In that case to put the landlord back in the position they would have been they'd need a replacement window, toilet and piping.
    The financial compensation would need to reflect that, because not all items have a value related to age, some have an additional value arising from simply existing.
    Something's fundamentally different between a support wall and the wallpaper that covers it.

But defenestrating bathroom appliances isn't the same as failing to iron some curtains.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    The calculation for loss in value beyond fair wear and tear is for guidance only, a rule of thumb, something to be taken into consideration.
    Yes, and after taking everything that the OP has said into consideration, the amount that it would be reasonable to keep from the tenants deposit in a case like this would still be nothing.

The OP seems to be intentionally trying to make forum members seem to be unreasonable. They might have a reason for doing this, but it could just be ordinary trolling.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Going by the principal of "Giving sensible responses helps people even if the original post is meant as a wind up";

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Garden spade missing.

This is a perfect example.

You are entitled to compensation for this loss.
    The loss is calculated as the loss in value beyond fair wear and tear.
    The spade probably cost about £20 if its a decent spade.
    You'd expect a spade to last about a decade (at least before the handle needs replacing) so after 11 years it has no value - normal wear and tear has depreciated the value to nothing,
    So you have no compensation to claim.
    FFS* jpk, how many more times? (or are you having a wind up within a wind up you old joker you?)

If a tenant throws an old bog (est lifespan 17 years) through an old window (est lifespan 25 years) and nicks the old copper piping attached (est lifespan 37 years), even though beyond their average lifespan, the landlord is entitled to compensation for a helluva lot more than nowt.

Which reminds me...... I must replace my Georgian oak door with a shiny new UPVC one, just in case I decide let it out, the tenant has a domestic and kicks it in and then tries billing me for minus 200 years of average lifespan.

*note to moderator FFS = For Flips Sake

Leave a comment:

• daveg
    replied
    I am still not not sure you are serious but if you are I can see why you said "I'm pretty short of money." Google "karma"

Leave a comment:

• StuartH
    replied
    I read discussion like this and I realise why private landlords have a poor reputation in some quarters. You are a joke and you ought to feel ashamed - but obviously, don't.

Leave a comment:

• mystic08
    replied
    I think we are all on the tenants side. 🤔 You have had a steady stream of income for several years as well as the capital growth in the value of the property. Many landlords are not so lucky!

Leave a comment:

• JoeFL
    replied
    It's not funny.

I've to move back in 1 week and because of personal circumstances I'm pretty short of money.

An unironed curtain is one more thing I need to do. It's in the agreement they will be dry cleaned not washed on exit.

Buying a spade is one more purchase I have to make.

Again, the 'compost heap' is about 4 x 4 foot and looks like its pretty fresh with green grass clippings.
    What do I do with that!?

To add insult to injury the ex tennents are also paying the '13 year' card and are only offering a few hundred as a 'Good will gesture'!!! when it will cost me more to make good.

My asking for the full deposit (well over 1.5k) is only about an additional £10pm over the duration of the tenancy. That is not a lot to ask for.

I'm also going to complain to the letting agency as they also seem to be on the tennents side!!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Garden spade missing.
    This is a perfect example.

You are entitled to compensation for this loss.
    The loss is calculated as the loss in value beyond fair wear and tear.
    The spade probably cost about £20 if its a decent spade.
    You'd expect a spade to last about a decade (at least before the handle needs replacing) so after 11 years it has no value - normal wear and tear has depreciated the value to nothing,
    So you have no compensation to claim.

Rotary clothings line totally tangled beyond use.
    Again, a rotary washing line won't last anywhere near a decade before needing replacing.
    Top part of cupboard out in shed and one leg smashed.
    Depends on the value and possible lifetime you might have a claim, but I doubt it.
    One window frame splintered on bottom.
    You're responsible for this repair.
    Shoddy DIY paint job on one wall without permission.
    The property will need complete redecoration after 10 years, so this is academic.
    Probably 10 nail holes in various walls.
    See above, you might have a theoretical claim for the additional filling required.
    Massive compost heap at back of garden.
    That's a normal use of a garden.
    Rod missing on bottom of roller blinds.
    Again, blinds don't last a decade.
    Curtains washed but un-ironed.
    You have to be kidding (and I suspect you might be).

Leave a comment:

• Welshie
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
    Gets worse:

gave me a good chuckle

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    What sort of support do you want? 'There there's' are not going to help you much. People have been trying to point out the simple reality of your situation, which is that you stand almost no chance of a successful claim against the tenant for any of those things due to the length of the tenancy. Nothing to stop you asking and if they don't know their rights they might just pay you something, but if you have to go through proper channels you will be wasting your time and money.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFL
    replied
    Well, just done inspection after tennent 'deep cleaned'

Gets worse:

Garden spade missing.
    Rotary clothings line totally tangled beyond use.
    Top part of cupboard out in shed and one leg smashed.
    One window frame splintered on bottom.
    Shoddy DIY paint job on one wall without permission.
    Probably 10 nail holes in various walls.
    Massive compost heap at back of garden.
    Rod missing on bottom of roller blinds.
    ​​​

Why should I pay for all this. They lived in the house and I need to move back.

Will grudgingly accept deep clean was a good job but they should do that anyway.

Can't believe that the lack of support I'm getting on this forum.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X