Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it is a windup, why would anyone pull such a stunt , its not even funny :-/

Comment

After 13 years I doubt there is much in the flat that has any residual value. Certainly not carpets and other high wear items. So hopefully the landlord will get full current value when he sues

Comment

Blinko - some weird people enjoy watching others be shocked about things they say and enjoy the show.
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Blinko- Some people are taken in by such blatant nonsense and then use it as 'evidence' to justify things like kneejerk deposit protection legislation, scrapping section 21, more and more power to tenants etc.
          All without thought of the consequences.

Comment

Giving sensible responses helps people even if the original post is meant as a wind up.
            One of the benefits of operating as a forum.

If it is a wind up, it's dangerously close to the attitude of a number of other (presumably genuine) questions.
            Unless my other theory that you're all computers pretending to be people to keep me out of the way is true...
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              If it is a wind up, it's dangerously close to the attitude of a number of other (presumably genuine) questions.
              I can't recall one dangerously (or even mildly) close question.
              There have been loads asking what is allowed and reasonable, but none trying to screw over the tenant.
              And this one was roundly condemned by all landlords bothering to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                I can't recall one dangerously (or even mildly) close question.
                To be fair, most of them are framed as "My landlord is trying to claim for a complete redecoration after 5 years", but there have been a number of threads like this one, but they tend to be short lived.

This is one of the more outrageous examples!
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Well, just done inspection after tennent 'deep cleaned'

Gets worse:

Garden spade missing.
                  Rotary clothings line totally tangled beyond use.
                  Top part of cupboard out in shed and one leg smashed.
                  One window frame splintered on bottom.
                  Shoddy DIY paint job on one wall without permission.
                  Probably 10 nail holes in various walls.
                  Massive compost heap at back of garden.
                  Rod missing on bottom of roller blinds.
                  Curtains washed but un-ironed.
                  ​​​

Why should I pay for all this. They lived in the house and I need to move back.

Will grudgingly accept deep clean was a good job but they should do that anyway.

Can't believe that the lack of support I'm getting on this forum.

Comment

What sort of support do you want? 'There there's' are not going to help you much. People have been trying to point out the simple reality of your situation, which is that you stand almost no chance of a successful claim against the tenant for any of those things due to the length of the tenancy. Nothing to stop you asking and if they don't know their rights they might just pay you something, but if you have to go through proper channels you will be wasting your time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFL View Post
                      Gets worse:

gave me a good chuckle

Comment

Garden spade missing.
                        This is a perfect example.

You are entitled to compensation for this loss.
                        The loss is calculated as the loss in value beyond fair wear and tear.
                        The spade probably cost about £20 if its a decent spade.
                        You'd expect a spade to last about a decade (at least before the handle needs replacing) so after 11 years it has no value - normal wear and tear has depreciated the value to nothing,
                        So you have no compensation to claim.

Rotary clothings line totally tangled beyond use.
                        Again, a rotary washing line won't last anywhere near a decade before needing replacing.
                        Top part of cupboard out in shed and one leg smashed.
                        Depends on the value and possible lifetime you might have a claim, but I doubt it.
                        One window frame splintered on bottom.
                        You're responsible for this repair.
                        Shoddy DIY paint job on one wall without permission.
                        The property will need complete redecoration after 10 years, so this is academic.
                        Probably 10 nail holes in various walls.
                        See above, you might have a theoretical claim for the additional filling required.
                        Massive compost heap at back of garden.
                        That's a normal use of a garden.
                        Rod missing on bottom of roller blinds.
                        Again, blinds don't last a decade.
                        You have to be kidding (and I suspect you might be).

Comment

It's not funny.

I've to move back in 1 week and because of personal circumstances I'm pretty short of money.

An unironed curtain is one more thing I need to do. It's in the agreement they will be dry cleaned not washed on exit.

Buying a spade is one more purchase I have to make.

Again, the 'compost heap' is about 4 x 4 foot and looks like its pretty fresh with green grass clippings.
                          What do I do with that!?

To add insult to injury the ex tennents are also paying the '13 year' card and are only offering a few hundred as a 'Good will gesture'!!! when it will cost me more to make good.

My asking for the full deposit (well over 1.5k) is only about an additional £10pm over the duration of the tenancy. That is not a lot to ask for.

I'm also going to complain to the letting agency as they also seem to be on the tennents side!!

Comment

I think we are all on the tenants side. 🤔 You have had a steady stream of income for several years as well as the capital growth in the value of the property. Many landlords are not so lucky!

Comment

I read discussion like this and I realise why private landlords have a poor reputation in some quarters. You are a joke and you ought to feel ashamed - but obviously, don't.

Comment

I am still not not sure you are serious but if you are I can see why you said "I'm pretty short of money." Google "karma"

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X