Live in landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live in landlord

Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?

You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.

Comment

Just a note, some areas now require planning permission in order to grant a HMO, you current situation is a small HMO which may require a licence (Selective) depending on your council. If the property is not in this selective area, then you don't currently require a licence.

How many actual tenants do you have, not bed sizes? as if you have five or more T's you require a HMO licence.

Comment

It's a small HMO for planning, but not for licensing, unless neither of the double bedrooms are used as double bedrooms.

Comment

I have 3 lodgers atm (1 lodger per room ). I checked on havering council website and it says I don't need license atm. (I'm the fourth person in the house)

But with loft conversion I'm gona have 4th lodger in the house. And then myself 5th one (do I have to include myself in it as I'm landlord)

Comment

You are only allowed two lodgers, if you want special treatment for lodgers.

Comment

Although you don't need a licence, you still need the fire risk assessments, and to obey all the rules about HMOs.

Also, are you sure they are really lodgers? What is it about the arrangement that doesn't give them exclusive access to their room? This is more likely an excluded tenancy arrangement.

Comment

As leaseholder64 says, you are operating an HMO already if you have 3 lodgers. Whether you need a licence already depends on which ward you're in. See here: https://www.havering.gov.uk/download...lic_notice.pdf

If you take on a fourth resident, who may not be a lodger if they're self contained in the loft, you will need a mandatory licence.

Comment

You already have to follow all of the basic HMO regulations, and I'd be concerned about a loft conversion for fire safety reasons, because the exit routes in residential properties are rarely appropriate for HMO use.

Hopefully, you've had the fire risk assessment for the property as it is, and are complying with its requirements for alarms and (usually) replacement doors.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X