Bond or No Bond?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bond or No Bond?

Has anyone considered not taking a bond from a tenant?

With all the bond related paperwork landlords must get 100% correct, all the hoops that have got to be jumped through to prove to DPS (or other) that your claim is legitimate, the new five weeks rent equivalent rule, has anyone just thought it might be easier to go without a bond altogether and charge a higher rent instead?

Just interested in peoples thoughts

Lots of landlords dont bother any more and if youre not able to be 100% on top of all the requirements then this may be the right choice. Ive only had to claim once from the deposit for cleaning and the tenant readily agreed, but I know Ive benefitted from the psychological effect of having a deposit because I often see tenants taking great care not to mark any furniture or walls and usually cleaning very thoroughly at the end. The fear of deductions seems to work much better than the reality.

Comment

In theory it may be better to go for a higher rent without a deposit, but most likely depends on the area and whether or not a T is willing to pay more comparing to other properties, as the first thing they will see on an advert is the rental amount not that there is not deposit.

I personally have always taken a deposit, but my properties are also repainted and provided basic equipment. I have known other LL's who just provide an empty property, no white goods, beds, etc the T then needs to provide everything else. This may be the way things will start to lead towards, in some parts of the country, and avoids any real need for maintenance, replacing things, and end of tenancy check outs.

Comment

I no longer take deposits, I don't think they are worth the hassle tbh. As you say there's too many hoops to jump through and the penalties are grossly disproportionate. If the worse comes to the worse and you need to make a claim you have even more hassle trying to prise money away from the deposit services. I'm personally happy to take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
          I no longer take deposits, I don't think they are worth the hassle tbh. As you say there's too many hoops to jump through and the penalties are grossly disproportionate. If the worse comes to the worse and you need to make a claim you have even more hassle trying to prise money away from the deposit services. I'm personally happy to take the risk.
          This is how my thinking is going, its too stacked in the tenants favour.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part of deposit not protected
            coppernob
            Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
            16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
          • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
            DPT57
            Tell the landlord that if he repays you the deposit in full from his own funds, you will agree to him retaining the full deposit that's in the DPS account. It shouldn't be beyond his means to front fund this for 30 days....
            18-07-2019, 16:40 PM
          • Best option
            Locornwall
            I am considering buying a bungalow. It has a garage to the front and in a large rear garden, an outbuilding.

When considering making money from a possible lodge or Airbnb, what would you say is my best option? Maybe to convert the garage and provide extra room for an in house lodger or...
            18-07-2019, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to Best option
            jpkeates
            It was mentioned, but the main debate in that thread is whether the use of some kind of granny flat would be a lodger or a tenancy arrangement.
            So mostly about people living there.

Creating a situation where people stay somewhere temporarily is a different thing (it seems to me)....
            18-07-2019, 15:18 PM
          • Finding replacement tenant
            Chihuahua1461
            Hi guys,

Looking for some help or advice. I am currently renting from a private landlord in a shared living arrangement in the UK.

My current 12 month (and then rolling monthly) lease is due to end. In the contract it stipulates it is my responsibility to find a replacement...
            18-07-2019, 00:19 AM
          • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
            jpkeates
            I don't think the indefinite contract things going to fly.
            This is a straightforward lease with an initial term that continues in some (oddly undefined) way.

The only unusual thing about it is that the terms of the continuation aren't defined, which they normally would be - so there...
            18-07-2019, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to Finding replacement tenant
            Chihuahua1461
            Fingers crossed an expert will spot this as you say leaseholder64 - tell me their name, I'm not privy to such etiquette 😁

So it looks like I have to find a replacement prior to leaving then? Any previous tenants I have known have done this. It just makes it difficult to find myself a...
            18-07-2019, 15:06 PM
          • Reply to Best option
            leaseholder64
            AirBnB was raised, by the OP, in the original thread,
            18-07-2019, 14:35 PM
          • Reply to Best option
            jpkeates
            To be fair this is a completely different question.

There aren't really anywhere near the same rules about AirBnB as there are about tenancies.
            Someone staying for a holiday or for a very short period has different needs (and rights) to a long term tenant.

The key determinants...
            18-07-2019, 14:28 PM
          • Reply to Best option
            Locornwall
            Yes but if I’m honest I got a bit confused by some of the language used on that thread.
            18-07-2019, 14:08 PM
          Working...
          X