Bond or No Bond?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bond or No Bond?

Has anyone considered not taking a bond from a tenant?

With all the bond related paperwork landlords must get 100% correct, all the hoops that have got to be jumped through to prove to DPS (or other) that your claim is legitimate, the new five weeks rent equivalent rule, has anyone just thought it might be easier to go without a bond altogether and charge a higher rent instead?

Just interested in peoples thoughts

Lots of landlords dont bother any more and if youre not able to be 100% on top of all the requirements then this may be the right choice. Ive only had to claim once from the deposit for cleaning and the tenant readily agreed, but I know Ive benefitted from the psychological effect of having a deposit because I often see tenants taking great care not to mark any furniture or walls and usually cleaning very thoroughly at the end. The fear of deductions seems to work much better than the reality.

Comment

In theory it may be better to go for a higher rent without a deposit, but most likely depends on the area and whether or not a T is willing to pay more comparing to other properties, as the first thing they will see on an advert is the rental amount not that there is not deposit.

I personally have always taken a deposit, but my properties are also repainted and provided basic equipment. I have known other LL's who just provide an empty property, no white goods, beds, etc the T then needs to provide everything else. This may be the way things will start to lead towards, in some parts of the country, and avoids any real need for maintenance, replacing things, and end of tenancy check outs.

Comment

I no longer take deposits, I don't think they are worth the hassle tbh. As you say there's too many hoops to jump through and the penalties are grossly disproportionate. If the worse comes to the worse and you need to make a claim you have even more hassle trying to prise money away from the deposit services. I'm personally happy to take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
          I no longer take deposits, I don't think they are worth the hassle tbh. As you say there's too many hoops to jump through and the penalties are grossly disproportionate. If the worse comes to the worse and you need to make a claim you have even more hassle trying to prise money away from the deposit services. I'm personally happy to take the risk.
          This is how my thinking is going, its too stacked in the tenants favour.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
            LordLand78
            Does the average BTL landlord do a ton of DIY? I have a disability which means that most DIY is simply impractical, meaning I will likely never pickup DIY skills, except the ones that involve no hand strength or dexterity (lol). Thanks
            17-10-2019, 16:26 PM
          • Reply to Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
            ram
            Are you fully conversant with ALL the rules and regulations, laws, deposit protection, eviction procedures, and such overlooked things such as, it's not your house any more as you have assigned it over to a tenant. You cant just call unannounced ( best not to ), nor wander round unannounced, as it's...
            18-10-2019, 23:47 PM
          • Reply to Is it worth becoming a BTL landlord if you have no DIY skills?
            LordLand78
            I already own a house outright and am planning on letting it out for £1000-£1200pcm, and using the income to pay cheaper pcm rent elsewhere. According to my research and calculations, after fees (say 15%) for full management, taxes, and unforeseen expenses (say £2-3k a year), I should have a yearly...
            18-10-2019, 23:07 PM
          • Five Friends Renting a Home.
            PaulBlartFan
            Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I'm new to the forum.
            Me and 4 other (completely unrelated) people are looking to rent an unfurnished 5 bed house sometime in 2021, from what I have seen it does not seem possible to do that legally, and instead we would need to rent a HMO.
            The...
            17-10-2019, 22:06 PM
          • Reply to Five Friends Renting a Home.
            AlexR
            At the outset your plan looks good...…. but stuff happens and that's why there are rules. The rules are there because you are 5 individuals who may all have partners, individual schedules, cooking requirements , bathroom timetables etc and that uses a house in a different way . At some time the...
            18-10-2019, 22:56 PM
          • tenant with 3 kids
            abc777uu
            Hi,
            My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
            the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
            recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
            by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
            Thanks...
            16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
          • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
            leaseholder64
            The actual legislation basically says that it is a defence that they have applied for council housing and haven't refused a reasonable offer. Relatives are also allowed to hold over until they find alternative accommodation. In practice they won't get council accommodation and the chances are that...
            18-10-2019, 21:57 PM
          • Does deposit cover rent?
            Lawcruncher
            A tenancy agreement contains the following provision:

The landlord may make reasonable deductions from the deposit for any damage or costs incurred, or as provision for unsettled bills

Does that cover rent? I do not think it does since rent is not any of damage, costs or an...
            16-10-2019, 21:50 PM
          • Reply to Does deposit cover rent?
            Lawcruncher
            Strictly they are not 100%, but I think we can concede that it is not unreasonable to assume that most deposit provisions cover rent.

For the record, the agreement from which the deposit clause was taken was very amateurishly drafted in other respects....
            18-10-2019, 20:44 PM
          • Reply to Does deposit cover rent?
            Lawcruncher
            Any assumption that the deposit automatically covers anything has in my view to be incorrect. The deposit is a security and only covers what the agreement says it covers...
            18-10-2019, 20:39 PM
          Working...
          X