Pets causing eviction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I wonder if you'd have more luck contacting the charity directly and explaining how you'd sought and were of the belief you had been granted permission by them to have the dogs? It's worth a shot....

Chances are agent is telling them you moved them in without their consent/knowledge, something which in all probability annoyed them hence the recent instructions! I know I wouldn't like it if a T did this!

Comment

I agree. If you write to the charity and explain all this, including emotive language about 'family members' etc then they or their PR dept may well have a change of heart.

Comment

Find their own emotive language (about why people should contribute to their charity and how kind and good they are) and quote it kindly in the letter
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Update:

We've just been to view another property with the same letting agent (keeping our options are open) they are adamant they told the landlord about the dogs and are willing to provide emails to that effect. The agent who showed us around the new property was the same person who complied our 3 month property check and she was flabbergasted how a glowing report could result in the current situation we find ourselves in.

We've requested a letter from the charity or letting agent giving us what they wish is to comply with, reason for the change to the tenancy, amount of notice to comply and formally requested a pow wow with all parties to see if meditation can bring this to an end. We warned the agent that we will be willing to take this as far as is needed (section 21) if resolve can't be reached through other means, they support us all the way.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

When dealing with landlords and letting agents it is wise to assume, though it is by no means always the case, that their word is anythng but their bond. It has to be inviolable rule, and it applies to any contract, that you refuse to sign it if it does not record what has been agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiffle View Post
                We've requested a letter from the charity or letting agent giving us what they wish is to comply with, reason for the change to the tenancy, amount of notice to comply and formally requested a pow wow with all parties to see if meditation can bring this to an end. We warned the agent that we will be willing to take this as far as is needed (section 21) if resolve can't be reached through other means, they support us all the way.
                While it's helpful that the agent seems to be sympathetic, don't forget that they work for the landlord and owe them a significant duty to act in their interest.

If the tenancy agreement says you can keep pets with the permission of the landlord and the permission was given (which the agent can do on their behalf), the only way that the tenancy can be ended is by serving a s21 notice, which doesn't have to give any reason, so that's the most practical resolution for the landlord.

They certainly shouldn't put in writing any demand for you to get rid of your dogs (with or without a stupid deadline), so I'd guess they won't do that.

I don't see their being any value for the landlord in mediation (there's no realistic compromise) or for any justification (as any documentation doesn't help the landlord).

So the balls in their court, they'll either serve notice or they won't.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

1. Could you post the exact "no pets" clause?
                  2. You cannot be forced to get rid of your pets, but LL can use S21 to evict you.
                  3. Actions of the agent are considered to be actions of the LL.

Comment

OP clearly stated they knowingly signed the TA that clearly said 'No Pets' and they clearly had as least 1 rottie.
                    LL can evict and T may be liable for Hearing & baliliff costs. (£350 approx).

Comment

The tenancy agreement does state no pets without permission from the landlord and as I previously stated we asked and were given that permission.
                      That's not the same as "no pets".
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And "no pets" without any qualification is probably unfair and not enforceable, which would result in no restriction at all.
                        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Did you pay any sort of dog bond ?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                            OP clearly stated they knowingly signed the TA that clearly said 'No Pets' and they clearly had as least 1 rottie.
                            LL can evict and T may be liable for Hearing & baliliff costs. (£350 approx).
                            What the OP said was: "The tenancy agreement does state no pets without permission from the landlord and as I previously stated we asked and were given that permission."

Comment

if I was your landlord, I'd be furious if I'd discovered that the LA had not told me about the dogs prior to letting. I would sack my agent and take over the let or transfer it to another agent asap. I would also realise that your dogs are family to you (I hate dogs but feel the same way about our cats as you do about your dogs). Because of that, I'd see the silver lining and ask you to pay a reasonably higher rent as a compromise.

It certainly wouldn't help me as a landlord to immediately evict you - that's a ton of hassle. Instead, I'd realise that I had a tenant who very much wants to stay and is willing to compromise to keep their babies. Win win.

perhaps you could draft a letter apologising if there's been a misunderstanding and with an offer of compromise through higher rent and send it directly to the landlord. That would work with me.

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                                perhaps you could draft a letter apologising if there's been a misunderstanding and with an offer of compromise through higher rent and send it directly to the landlord. That would work with me.
                                Err, how about not? OP made sure they requested permission, which was granted. Either the LA screwed up, or the landlord (as a corporate entity) changed their mind as a result of changes in human staff. There's nothing for the tenant to apologise for. They should be the one receiving the apology, not the other way round.
                                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X