30 years of renting an unregistered property. What are my fathers rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 years of renting an unregistered property. What are my fathers rights?

My father has been renting a property for over 30 years without any written rental agreement. His landlord wants him to leave the property so he can sell it. My father has established he has a secured tenancy as he has been living there for so long. For this reason he has asked his landlord for a sum of money to leave the flat. His landlords solicitor has asked my father to write a letter outlining his demands for leaving the property.

The building consists of three flats, the other two which the landlord has already sold. My father is the only one residing in a rented flat in the building. The owner of one of the other flats needed to gain some information from the land registry before selling his on. At this point we found out my fathers flat is not registered on the registry. If the landlord is not able to produce documentation that he actually owns my fathers flat, does my father have any right to its ownership?

My understanding is that the tenancy counters any adverse possession rights. In particular, the paying of rent will acknowledge the title.

Not being registered doesn't mean that here isn't evidence of title; it just means that there were no transfers since registration became mandatory.

Comment

No.
      Property registration was only introduced I believe around 1991. Essentially, if a transaction took place since then it has to be registered with the LR. If there hasnt been a transaction as most likely case then the deeds and other documents would be produced and lodged with the LR.

Your father occupies the property as a Regulated Tenant and has security of tenure and rents which are probably 20-40% below the market rate.

They can sell the property to an investor but your father rights will have to be respected. Typically two options are that an agreement is agreed to pay your father a sum of money to leave, or your father buys the property.

There are also succession rights to consider.

Comment

Land registration has been generally possible since 1925. It became compulsory in different places at different times. 1998 was when the last few edge cases seem to have become compulsory. There still needs to be a transaction to trigger. it.

Comment

Hello LadyK

Do you know when your father 1st moved in, the date ?

If the tenant moved in before January 1989, it would be a Protected Tenancy "Regulated" under 1977 rent act

If the tenant moved in between January 1989 and February 1997 and No section 20 notice issued at start of tenancy, It would be a Secure Tenancy "Assured" under 1988 Housing act.

Its important to know the date tenant 1st moved in, as dates and acts of parliament are different for E&W, Scotland and NI.
          Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

There is a difference between a leasehold interest in the flat not being registered and the freehold in the building not being registered. If no long lease has been granted of the flat there will be no separate registration of the flat. If the building is not registered it will be because the landlord acquired it by a transaction which at the time it was made did not induce a requirement to register (or because someone forgot to register it.)

Comment

For those interested the following shows when areas in England and Wales became subject to compulsory first registration: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...y-registration

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                by Lawcruncher
                I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
              • Is time more important than money?
                by jpucng62
                Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                Garden was left in a mess...
                27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by MdeB
                That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by Beeble
                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Lawcruncher
                The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by AndrewDod
                Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
              • Inherited a few rentals
                by Landlord7289
                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by DoricPixie
                Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
              • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                by Hudson01
                Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
              Working...
              X