Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint tenancy agreement

Hi
    I rent a house to a group to four friends on a joint AST, where all are named. There seems to have been a falling out within the group, which I was unaware of, and at a house meeting, 2 of the tenants told the other 2 that they had to leave. They were told that this was at my instigation which was totally untrue, and I have made clear to them all that this was nothing to do with me. Understandably this has cause a major upset within the house, and I have received many emails from both sides of the argument. I am reluctant to get involved in this situation as I have not given them notice to quit. Now, the 2 who were asked go have agreed to go at the end of the tenancy agreement on June 30th, and the remaining 2 are looking for new people. We will draw up a new agreement when they are in place. I had engaged a letting agent to start in July before this all blew up, and he should manage things from then.
    Any thoughts or advice on avoiding this type of situation?

You can't prevent people from falling out. Just make sure to do a full check-out, return of deposit, new deposit, new check-in.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

It may be tricky to get the timing right of two people leaving and two joining at the same moment. If there is a gap then you need to consider the status of all parties until the new TA is signed

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X