dispute with council over council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dispute with council over council tax

i have been billed for council tax for a property that was rent out. the tenant also ran a pub. he left last november , i told the council he had gone and informed them when the new tenant moved in . they billed me for when the property was empty. and i paid that bill . now 8 moths later the tenat as been tracked down and told them he left in august and as he as been paying bills at the pub they ahve taken his side and billed me from august, anyone know how i can prove he was there. he had been a tenat for three years and the last year we just carried on his tennacy

You appeal to the council with whatever evidence you have, and if they reject that, appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

How did he inform you that he was ending the tenancy and wanted to leave ? Do you have any texts he sent or letters etc you can show, what about utility bills which i gather he must of settled at the end of his tenancy.

Comment

i have texted about from him about rent payments also one saying he as dropped the keys off. but council will not look at them i have screen shot them . i had all the utility bills but threw them away when i thought it was all sorted when i got the bill for the empty period. only bill he always paid was for the internet. but i do not now how i can get hold of that.

Comment

Ask utility company for copy of bill. Any inventory? Do you have a date when property was first advertised ?

Comment

If he was in the fixed term of his tenancy, (assuming it wad 6 months or more) then you can show the Council the signed TA as he will have clear CT liability. If not then gather what you can. Youve been a bit lax about evidence and record keeping so it may be tricky.

Comment

first thanks to you all for replys. i did have everything electric, gas, internet bills speeding fines, unpaid council tax bill. i took it all in last november . as they did not dispute it , they said there was no need .to copy it. so april this year i binned it .i never thought they were going to bill me 8 months later.;

Comment

Then note that in your appeal. They accepted the earlier declaration, so as far as you were concerned documentary evidence of the tenant's occupation was no longer needed to be kept and hence it was destroyed accordingly. They can't go back on their acceptance unless there's evidence you lied. The tenant's words are not evidence as it's just their words against yours.
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How do you handle the Tenant Fees ban?
                  kelbol
                  Now that LL can't charge for on-boarding fees such as inventory and credit checks, how do you handle these fees?
                  Do you absorb them? increase the rent? Ask tenants to turn up with their own credit checks in hand?

I found asking potential tenants to pay a (reasonable) fee for a credit...
                  17-07-2019, 08:38 AM
                • Reply to How do you handle the Tenant Fees ban?
                  boletus
                  From the government's site;

You may ask a tenant to provide information which supports you to carry out a reference check, such as:
                  • bank statements – to assess a tenant’s income and ability to pay rent
                  • a reference from a previous landlord (you cannot ask a tenant
                  17-07-2019, 10:12 AM
                  jpkeates
                  They have:

That's also a "Prohibited Payment"
                  You can't require a tenant to pay a 3rd party or enter into a contract with a 3rd party.

Which I think rules out asking them to turn up with a credit report of their own.
                  Plus, the credit report would...
                  17-07-2019, 09:07 AM
                • How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                  milleniumaire
                  Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                  16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
                • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                  jpkeates
                  That's not quite correct.
                  The knowledge without action might impact any damages in a legal claim against the tenant, but it doesn't change the terms of the contract or permit the breach.

In reality, the landlord has seen some damage, some pet food and something that might be droppings....
                  17-07-2019, 09:00 AM
                • New carpets
                  Evans86
                  hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new...
                  16-07-2019, 17:50 PM
                • Reply to New carpets
                  jpkeates
                  Most carpets won't last more than 10 years and the landlord should replace them (as a matter of routine, really).
                  It doesn't matter if the rent has increased or not.

Legally the position is vague, because carpets are seen as a furnishing (oddly).
                  17-07-2019, 08:57 AM
                • Tenant referencing
                  Sam87
                  Afternoon,

I'm just wondering if letting agents can with hold tenant references if I try and obtain a reference about a potential tenant myself aswell as getting a reference company to so the Same? I currently pay someone to do the referencing however for the 'previous landlord/agent' reference...
                  16-07-2019, 12:34 PM
                • Reply to Tenant referencing
                  jpkeates
                  Depends on what the tenant said up front to explain it (unless they're very young).

Young people typically don't have much history that's positive for credit rating.
                  My son has a middling credit rating, but that's because he doesn't have any credit to speak of.

If someone...
                  17-07-2019, 08:52 AM
                  islandgirl
                  What if you charge at cost (which is what I do anyway?) ie no profit for me and tenant pays the company themselves
                  17-07-2019, 08:47 AM
                Working...
                X