Heating grants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating grants

Hi I have storage heaters in the property I let. I am having difficulties finding good tenants as they don’t want storage heaters. I am considering changing the whole system to gas central heating. Has anyone used any grants to help with the costs. Any help will be appreciated on this topic. Thank you. Kate

What Grants are available now gas will be persona non grata?

Comment

Stick with the storage heaters IIWY. They have several benefits:

1.) No gas certificate needed
      2.) Only one ususally needs repair at once. (And that is a rare occurence.)

I suggest you do what I do and set the rent slightly lower in view of them. This makes your property more attractive in the listings. Any time your tenant moans about the cost, simply point out the EPC of yours and neighbouring gas properties, and the rent that your neighbour is charging. I bet you don't hear another word on the subject!

Comment

Thank you and yes the rent is already lower then the neighbouring properties but people are so reluctant to take the property due to storage heaters. The epc is E due to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate foster View Post
          Thank you and yes the rent is already lower then the neighbouring properties but people are so reluctant to take the property due to storage heaters. The epc is E due to them as well.
          Oh, well presumably they don't find out until they view? Just have yours & neighbour's EPC on hand, together with rightmove page giving comparable rents. I can't see there should be a problem if you prove yours is cheaper overall.

(I have 11 properties with storage heaters plus the one I live in, and no problem letting them.)

Comment

I have two flats that had them and i changed them to standard electric heaters with timers, i too found that tenants viewed them as a 1970's throwback and so i changed them, i have no issues renting them now and the tenants don't even bother there is no gas. I guess it depends on which area your in and how the people of that area view them, some like them but most do not.

Comment

Any new heater needs to be LOT 20 compliant.

Comment

My heaters were fitted well prior to Jan1st 2018 but when they need to be replaced i will of course get the latest stuff with all the inbuilt gizmo's, i just think that most tenants see these sleek modern heaters are something akin to standard gas central heating radiators and understand them more than storage heaters which they may not have encountered since their childhood when they visited an elderly relative, so i can see that '' selling '' a property with storage heaters would be an uphill struggle.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I've never had a problem letting flats with storage heaters. There are now many private estates in the UK that have no gas supply at all and the choice is between electric panel heaters or storage heaters. Given the difference in running costs I know which I'd prefer as a tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X