Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to rent check problem

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me navigate this tricky situation. I have a prospective tenant who is returning to the UK from south Africa. She is here to secure a property for her and her 2 daughters who are still there. They would be named on the tenancy agreement and returning to the UK in about 2 months once their Mother has a property they can move into. Now how can i ensure im compliant with the right to rent checks? I understand it as i would need to see all 3 of their identification prior to giving a tenancy. Would perhaps setting up the Mother on her own and deal with the daughters once they arrive suffice?

Or is this simply a grey area that falls victim to the rules and its not worth the risk?

Thank you in advance for any replies

Just have the tenancy in Mum's name, and ignore the daughters, surely?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

How old are the daughters? If under 18, there is no problem.

Comment

To my understanding it is any adult that will use the property as their main home which they will in around a months time. They are both over 18 unfortunately.

Comment

It is any adult that will be living there. just give tenancy in mums name and check her RTR. Warn her that you will need to check her daughters when they arrive.

Comment

And what is o/p going to do if daughters fail? Give mum notice for letting her daughters stay?
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

You see the dilemma, i'm sure it would end up being my fault as well. I think im leaning more towards not worth the hassle...
              Thank you everyone.

Comment

That's why I suggested warning her beforehand that the daughters will be checked. She should know if they will pass or not. Have you asked what their immigration status is? You said she was returning to the UK, they could be British Nationals for all we know! There is no reason why you couldn't check all this info now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X