Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tenant - Use an LA or DIY vetting?

Hi
    Been a LZ newsletter subscriber for years, but first time posting, so please be kind!

We've let our former home for almost 10 years. We have always used an LA to find and vet tenants and have never had a problem.
    Our current (fantastic) tenants are moving soon and have recommended a colleague who would like to rent the property. They are all foreign nationals and NHS employees.

I was hoping to save LA fees (circa 500 quid) and go through the backgrounds checks, referencing etc myself, using an online service. Our current tenants were not in possession of their employment contracts at the time of signing the tenancy agreement, so our LA strongly advised us to take 6 months rent up front or walk away. We would have never have done this without their advice, so we got what we paid for.

We only have one property and having been tenants ourselves, we want the tenants to be happy, we keep the house well maintained and respond to any problems straight away. By return, I want to make sure everything is above board and do my best to do the correct checks to protect both ourselves and the tenants, but obviously, would like to save money if poss!

As a first timer sorting out the tenancy agreement (we'd be using the downloadable government once, whilst cross checking with ones from the LA) and background checks, is there anything glaringly obvious that we should be aware of - or online services to avoid? Is it worth paying the fee for peace of mind, or possible to DIY?

Many thanks in advance

Yeah, I'd take another 6 months up front again. (If they don't have that, they don't really have any business moving to the UK.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply JK0 - even with regular employment in the NHS for over a year, you'd expect 6 months in advance?
      Perhaps I'm being too trusting/naive...

Comment

Originally posted by LilacLandlady View Post
        Thanks for the reply JK0 - even with regular employment in the NHS for over a year, you'd expect 6 months in advance?
        Perhaps I'm being too trusting/naive...
        Employment doesn't force them to pay the rent. 6 month tenancy and s21 notice at month 5 also if I were you. I explain when they move in that this will be accompanied by a standing order form for rent from month 7 onwards.

Comment

Just so I understand, are you saying this specifically because they are not UK nationals? The same LA found and vetted our previous 2 sets of tenants (UK citizens) and only suggested the deposit and 1 month's rent in advance...

Our current tenants had job offers but as they were not yet in possession of their contracts, the LA said we must insist they pay 6 months upfront. I thought this was a bit of an ask, but it sounds like it's quite common?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by LilacLandlady View Post
            Just so I understand, are you saying this specifically because they are not UK nationals? The same LA found and vetted our previous 2 sets of tenants (UK citizens) and only suggested the deposit and 1 month's rent in advance...

Our current tenants had job offers but as they were not yet in possession of their contracts, the LA said we must insist they pay 6 months upfront. I thought this was a bit of an ask, but it sounds like it's quite common?

Thanks again
            Yeah, it's what I insist on for anyone without references.

Comment

Short answer pay an agent no disrespect but you do not give me great confidence you a have a good working knowledge of the 100s of pieces of legislation that now govern the sector

Comment

JK0 I haven't met the prospective tenant yet, but will be getting references

cymro123 - you're dead right, I don't!

Thanks for all the feedback, its much appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X