Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO confusion help

Please someone clarifier this for me.

I have a 3 bed house rented to 3 persons , 2 are a couple and the third one is a family member of the couple ( cousin)

Do I need HMO for this tenancy, Has the HMO different legislations for different Local authority.

Thank you

Family member are fine, you should not need an HMO tenancy.

I had a couple with sister of the brother living in a house, I clarified that with the council as not classified as HMO. I do not see how this is any different.

Comment

Cousins qualify as 'relatives' under HA 2004 so its a single household and not an HMO

Comment

There again in some cultures you have to be carefull.

"Aunty" can mean my mothers friend rather than a relative.

The same can apply to 'cousins' and similar terms.

Comment

I thank all of you for your replies, I think I do understand now the meaning of household.
          For future reference while we are on the subject, do a two related couples occupying the same property are withing the meaning of "Household" ?

Thanks again

Comment

If the couples are related to each other then yes, its a single household.

Comment

Originally posted by ladybreaker View Post
              Do I need HMO for this tenancy,
              I don't under sand his question.

If you are letting out an entire property, then you do not need a different agreement just because there are 3 or more people in more than 1 household in it.

What you do need to do if it is an HMO is comply with HMO legislation and any local licencing requirements.

If the third person is indeed a cousin of one of the couple, then it is one household and not a HMO.

Comment

Yes, they dont have to be married.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X