Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing tenancy before viewing?

Hi all, first post here!

This will be my first time renting myself so I'm not entirely sure what the correct processes are, but the landlady of the property I'm interested in has mentioned that she wants me to sign a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement before I view, as she wants me to bring it to the viewing. When I looked into what this actually is, it seems to be the actual tenancy contract! I clarified if it would need to be signed and she said yes, and this is to protect her from 'time wasters' as she travels to Liverpool from Manchester. She is having it drafted by her solicitor, but my parents also want me to read with their solicitor before I sign anything which I thought made sense, but when I mentioned this to her she said there was 'no need'?

I'm sorry again if this might be normal but it strikes me as a bit odd that I'm signing paperwork agreeing to be a tennant before I've even seen the place. Could I hear some thoughts from people who might be a bit more seasoned with this than myself?

Thank you!

Yes, don't sign anything before you view.
    If the landlord insists, find somewhere else.

You will be committed to the fixed term and not moving in would be a breach of contract.

And anyone who tells you there's no need to have someone look at a contract sets off alarm bells immediately.
    Particularly if it's being drafted by their solicitor - tenancy agreements are available off the shelf, no one should be creating a new one.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ask her to send it to you a week in advance of the viewing then if it is OK you can take it with you view the place and sign on the day - or rip it up if you have any problem with the property...however I think the best advice is from JP - find somewhere else!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I've been thinking about this and two possibilities spring to mind.

It's a brand new landlord who doesn't know what they're doing (hence the creation of a new tenancy agreement).

She doesn't realise that because she's going to send the tenancy agreement to you, if you sign it, the landlord can't stop you moving in, because when you sign the agreement that's enough to create a contract (there's no need for it to be countersigned, because the landlord has already agreed to it by sending it on).

Alternatively, it sounds dodgy. Have a look at the property on the land registry and see if the ownership matches the person you're talking to.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi all, thanks for all your responses!

I do think it's possible she might be a new landlord, she did mention that she has only just moved from the area and is letting out her old house. I showed my parents this thread too and they agree, I definitely won't be signing anything until I have seen the property myself. I do like the place but if I feel pressured or like I am being swindled then I will look elsewhere.

Again thank you all so much for your advice.

Comment

ive never heard of a tenancy agreement being signed before viewing - most tenants view a property and they said 'ill have it' or ill think about it - then they pop into the estate agents a few days later and sign all the documents ect and pay deposits and get everything finalised - when thats all done they get keys and arrange to move in

the fact that she has to travel from Mcr to livepool is tough cheese

i would say walk away from this one sounds wierd

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you find somewhere else however much you may like the place. Way too many alarm bells.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Agree with above comments, its is very odd indeed, needless to say you do not sign anything before you view, new landlord nor not she sounds rather too pushy for my liking and it bodes very badly for the future if this is how she is now..... walk away would be my advice.

Comment

I've little doubt this is a scam!

When you mentioned the landlady having to travel from L/pool to Manchester and she wanted to avoid 'time-wasters', it rang major alarm bells for me.It reminded me of the scam where the 'landlord' requested a payment of the deposit (Western Union) before the viewing, to prove to him the prospective tenant had the funds before he (LL) travelled the 'long distance' to show the property, as he wanted to avoid time-wasters. A lot of people got caught out with this! The ' properties or the landlord never existed.

Comment

Tech LL has done nothing wrong in sending you a

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                      Tech LL has done nothing wrong in sending you a
                      No, the sending isn't the problem but requesting OP to sign it before the viewing is a different matter entirely. Makes one wonder if there is something dodgy going on.

Comment

it sounds like a scam there was another post where the person sent a deposit through and lost money it was a similar situation -

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X