No more fees good thing or had thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agency will be the biggest loser here, as the marketing forces will be against them.

I as landlord using letting agency already pay what I personally think is reasonable amount for finding a tenant (£600-800 50-70% of monthly rent), I know the agency likely charge another 300 to tenant, but at some point, you have to wonder while all other shops on the high streets are closing down, letting agency is popping up all over the place, with multiple shops in the same road, does say well to their margins.

If the letting agency charges more than that, I will more likely to take this up on myself and cutting them out of the picture.

Comment

Belvoir letting agents have just put their find a tenant only fee up from £300 to £550 since june 1st, pretty sure most landlords thought that we would end up paying extra when this came into force, how would us landlords vet the tenants ourselves is it that difficult to do?

Comment

Originally posted by TREK View Post
        Belvoir letting agents have just put their find a tenant only fee up from £300 to £550 since june 1st, pretty sure most landlords thought that we would end up paying extra when this came into force, how would us landlords vet the tenants ourselves is it that difficult to do?
        Vetting tenants isnt too difficult, just time consuming. I use the tenantverify application form, as the T to provide all docs with photocopies, and evidence that they have no ccjs (I suggest a full credit report as they can be obtained for free or around £8 if the T has used their free one). I'm not going to pay for a credit report on their behalf.

Comment

You can't require a tenant to obtain a credit report, that seems to be banned by the Act (although it's hard to be 100% sure).

And, personally, I wouldn't trust someone else's version of a credit report (they're easy to "adjust")
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            You can't require a tenant to obtain a credit report, that seems to be banned by the Act (although it's hard to be 100% sure).

And, personally, I wouldn't trust someone else's version of a credit report (they're easy to "adjust")
            I know, but they are free to prove they dont have ccjs in any way they can. I dont know of another way.

How do you adjust a credit report? do you mean something like scan it?

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
              How do you adjust a credit report? do you mean something like scan it?
              Anything you can print, you can edit.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

i think you can get a free credit report from mse, i certainly can see mine for free and literally EVERYTHING I have ever done/place lived etc

Comment

The problem is that you can't require a tenant to enter into a contract with a 3rd party (except for the supply of utilities or "communication service[s]").

Every free credit report requires some kind of sign up.
                  Whether that's actually a contract is a matter to be determined, although I don't see what else it can be.

Comment

The problem is that you can't require a tenant to enter into a contract with a 3rd party (except for the supply of utilities or "communication service[s]").

Every free credit report requires some kind of sign up.
                    Whether that's actually a contract is a matter to be determined, although I don't see what else it can be.
                    I wouldn't necessarily ask a T to sign up to anything, but they'd need some way of showing their credit record. What that might be I have no idea, but wile they're pathering around finding some other way, somebody else will have taken the property.

Comment

I've mentioned it before, but I have a very reliable method of safeguarding rent payments:

Take 6 months rent up front, and make it clear you will issue section 21 notice at 4 month point.
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                        I've mentioned it before, but I have a very reliable method of safeguarding rent payments:

Take 6 months rent up front, and make it clear you will issue section 21 notice at 4 month point.
                        I wouldn't be able to do that. People just don't have that kind of money where I live. Nice idea though

Comment

It depends on what "a third party" means.

It is arguable that it means "a specific party", not "any party that provides such a service".
                          So requiring the provision of such a report but not specifying where it must come from may not be prohibited.

Comment

MSE credit report is free and check all the big lenders

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                              by Lawcruncher
                              I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                              27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                            • Is time more important than money?
                              by jpucng62
                              Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                              Garden was left in a mess...
                              27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                              by MdeB
                              That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                              Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                              27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                            • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                              by Beeble
                              We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                              25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                              by Lawcruncher
                              The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                              27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                            • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                              by Piffy
                              I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                              27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                            • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                              by AndrewDod
                              Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                              27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                            • Inherited a few rentals
                              by Landlord7289
                              Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                              25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                              by DoricPixie
                              Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                              27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                              by Hudson01
                              Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                              27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                            Working...
                            X