X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alice123
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

Strictly speaking a council should either refuse a request from the landlord, to remove rubbish, or charge their commercial waste rate for the service, as it is waste from the rental business, not the resident.
    I did have a case where the council removed 3 bulky items per year for free part of council tax (what they pay ) so depends which council ect but worth finding out as its waste from whoever is paying the council tax for the property be it the tenant or landlord (when empty)

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by alice123 View Post
    why are you ringing the childs physio ??? be careful with this sharing of info ect -
    Like Hudson mentions - you are not a charity and you are getting way too involved -
    if shes got kids and this child with disabilty then she will most likely be getting paid a lot of money off the benefits people - enough so that she can PAY to have someone go round and clean up once a week/and do the garden
    the sofa in the garden - ring council and get it moved they may do it for free - get tenant to do it it comes under council tax people
    why have you allowed a dog to the property ?? is this in your tenancy agreement > if so its too late dogs are always bad trouble / smell and poo and dog hair all over -
    I believe government policy is that everyone is a charity. It was marketed under the name "Big Society", but is one of the excuses for cutting back social service budgets. It is a concept from the Conservatives.

Strictly speaking a council should either refuse a request from the landlord, to remove rubbish, or charge their commercial waste rate for the service, as it is waste from the rental business, not the resident.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I don't think you mentioned arrears BG. Are you sending s8 due to ground 13? You know we always advise just to proceed on the s21, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Alice123 I asked her who I could contact to help the situation move along and the physio was one. But no help there. Yes, she does get loads of money and she's told me that. I prepared S8 and 21 yesterday for posting today.

Leave a comment:

• alice123
    replied
    why are you ringing the childs physio ??? be careful with this sharing of info ect -
    Like Hudson mentions - you are not a charity and you are getting way too involved -
    if shes got kids and this child with disabilty then she will most likely be getting paid a lot of money off the benefits people - enough so that she can PAY to have someone go round and clean up once a week/and do the garden
    the sofa in the garden - ring council and get it moved they may do it for free - get tenant to do it it comes under council tax people
    why have you allowed a dog to the property ?? is this in your tenancy agreement > if so its too late dogs are always bad trouble / smell and poo and dog hair all over -

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Hudson01 You're quite right of course. I'm going to nip round for a look at the garden and deliver a rent statement. If the garden's not done I'm going to give her 2 weeks then a house inspection and take it from there.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Not sure if you want to hear this..... but your getting way to involved in this tenants life and her troubles, as said, this is a business and she is/has severely damaged your asset. I understand she has major problems with 3 children and one being disabled but what is she then doing with a dog which can not seem to control it's bowel movements ? And the furniture in the garden is just plain lazy, evict, and do it asap. I work with a number of individuals who lead chaotic lives and they promise the earth but deliver zero (wuda, cuda, shuda), ignore all the promises of '' i will change / i will ??? whatever, its total rubbish, if she can not even clean up her own dogs poo then how the hell is she going to bring your property back to how it was given to her ? She is not. I can see your trying to do the right thing, but this is far beyond the remit of a private landlord, get back to basics and remember the reason you have a BTL, your not a charity.

Leave a comment:

• mystic08
    replied
    I had to give notice to a tenant who has a special needs child. The council deemed her as a priority, she went to the top of the waiting list and once the notice period was up they took responsibility for housing her. I was expecting the council to tell her to wait for me to send in bailiffs but because of the child this, to my relief, didn't happen. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Thank you JKO, I think this is the course I will take. I'll give her a final chance though before eviction. I'll have to make a decision and be proactive.

The sad thing is that my Mum has an adapted house - downstairs toilet, stair lifts, walk in bath (it would need a more suitable bath or hoist), wetroom, a garage that could converted to a 4th bedroom and my brother and I have just made the garden accessible- and Mum is going into a home. I might have been able to persuade my brother to let it to this family, but there's no way he'll agree to let to somebody who can't look after it.

edit: I won't, of course, tell the T about Mum's house.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I think this calls for a precautionary possession order BG. (s21, then possession order, but not evict unless you have to.)

You still get the rent, but are protected against any spurious accusations from the council.

I was considering this for my friend.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I don't usually recommend eviction, but this has just gone beyond a nagging.
    Once the place has been so trashed, the tenant's response is more likely to be to give up altogether than start a new way of life.

An alternative would be to increase the rent to compensate for your increased costs, but I've assumed (possibly unfairly) that that's not an option.

Although that might focus their attention - you're not doing the gardening, so I'm going to have to provide a gardener for £100 a month, your dog is doing £75 of damage to my property each month, etc...
    She is hopeful of starting a new way of life now Mr T is off the scene and said she would make the repairs she is responsible for but nothing has happened. Increasing the rent would be possible but she wouldn't then have the money to do the repairs.

If I issue s8/21 she will have no incentive to do any repairs and I will have the long and stressful and costly process of evicting her. This will go right to the bitter end including me standing outside while the bailiffs turn up to evict a disabled child.

If it was only a few things that needed doing I would do them, but it's a whole house internal rebuild - knocking walls out, widening doors, adapted bathroom and making the garage into another bedroom as she has been told she needs 4 bedrooms, and ensuring the child has access to the garden. I've told her to tell the council I don;t mind if they do this as long as I won't have to pay anything at any time, but it's still no go. If the council would do the work she could stay there, and I'd have to do more inspections.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    The council have told her to look out for a private or housing association adapted house. I know full well that there very few in the town (I know of only 7). I've told her she's got no chance of getting one in either the near or distant future and that she needs to keep on at the council. I have been unable to get through to the council housing dept, or children's social services at the council as they just don't answer the phone. I've got through to the child's physio therapist but he is unable to do anything. As she has a roof over her head I don't think she counts as priority.

She is unable to have a movable joist because she can't open it fully in the bathroom so it's unsafe, so she's lifting the child into the bath and this is bad for her back. If anything happens to her her children will go into care as the dad is not in a position to look after them.

It's a sad situation and is going to end badly.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    Part of me is concerned that I might be responsible for adapting the property which would cost tens of thousands.
    That's one of those old bits of misinformation/rumours.

A landlord cannot be made to make adapations (for disability or infirmity) at their own expense.

They may be asked to allow adaptations to be made, paid for by the tenant or more likely by Social Services.
    They don't have to agree.
    Those adaptations will not be later removed by SS if/when no longer needed.
    The LL has to stand the cost of removing them and making good, or could always advertise it as an adapted property which as already said are in short supply so could attract a premium.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    You're quite right, and you're the voice of business sanity. I think I'll give one more serious nagging to get the repairs done within a timescale, then consider eviction.
    I don't usually recommend eviction, but this has just gone beyond a nagging.
    Once the place has been so trashed, the tenant's response is more likely to be to give up altogether than start a new way of life.

An alternative would be to increase the rent to compensate for your increased costs, but I've assumed (possibly unfairly) that that's not an option.

Although that might focus their attention - you're not doing the gardening, so I'm going to have to provide a gardener for £100 a month, your dog is doing £75 of damage to my property each month, etc...

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Download copy of HER council's housing allocation policy and work out if she'd get priority if on waiting list.

Sounds like she's not got the time to sort that question. Get her to apply, and keep copy of huge form

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X