Arrears; landlord serving s.8/s.21. How evict tenant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrears; landlord serving s.8/s.21. How evict tenant?

I have a tenant who is unable to pay their rent at present, and the future also looks pretty bleak. I have been advised that they will serve me the one months notice required (period tenancy), however, in order to keep myself right, I also wish to issue a S21, as I assume the tenant could revoke the notice at any point.

The tenancy commenced on the 18th of the month, which is also the rent payment day. If the notice was served as of Monday 7th April, would this require the date of expiry to state 17th June? (2 months notice required and on last day of rent period?)

For Section 8 notice, I will look to ground 8, 10 and 11. Would this be served upon the second month's payment not being received i.e. 18th April (no rent received in March)?

Many thanks in advance

Pete

Hi Pete, Sorry to hear about your troubles..for S8, you can serve on 19th April on the grounds you mentioned.

S21 - I'll let someone else take this one.

Comment

Thanks LalaCem, would I be right in thinking the S8 would not be actioned until 2 weeks after the S21 expires?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by peterdo View Post
        The tenancy commenced on the 18th of the month, which is also the rent payment day. If the notice was served as of Monday 7th April, would this require the date of expiry to state 17th June? (2 months notice required and on last day of rent period?)
        The "two months + to end of rent period" formula applies only if Notice is under s.21(4)(a). Notice form depends on whether fixed term is still running or has already expired.
        If term has already expired, s.21(4)(a) Notice served before 17 April will expire on 17 June as mentioned- so, next day, you can apply to Court.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey, s.21 (4)(a) seems to be the correct one, term has expired and is running on a periodic basis.

Another quick question, does the address of the landlord (myself and partner) need to be an England & Wales address, can't remember where I read this but as I live in Scotland the last thing I would need is to get stung on a technicality?

Many thanks

Pete

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey, s.21 (4)(a) seems to be the correct one, term has expired and is running on a periodic basis.

Another quick question, does the address of the landlord (myself and partner) need to be an England & Wales address, can't remember where I read this but as I live in Scotland the last thing I would need is to get stung on a technicality?

Many thanks

Pete
            See s.47/48 of LTA 1987. In rent demands generally, and at least once after any change of L's address during Tenancy, L must give T Notice of an E&W address where T can serve any Notices. For this purpose, any E&W address is OK- so an agent's or relative's would suffice.

It's different under LTA 1985, where address (if demanded by T under s.1, or after any change of L's address during Tenancy) must be L's home or business address [s.38].
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thanks LalaCem, would I be right in thinking the S8 would not be actioned until 2 weeks after the S21 expires?

Pete
              Hi Pete. No I don't believe they would be linked. As far as I know you can take further action if by the expirey date of the S8 notice (2 weeks I believe) your T hasn't paid up.

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey, looks like my sister may be getting a phonecall!

LalaCem, excellent, that means come 14 days past the rent date I will be able to pursue eviction irrespective of the S21 waiting the 2 months, hopefully it doesn't get to that stage and T leaves quietly...

Many thanks again

Pete

Comment

If T fails to pay second months rent, I will serve a S8 as detailed above.

To lodge this with the courts, do I have to do this in person or can I go online?

Thanks

Pete

Comment

If T fails to pay second months rent, I will serve a S8 as detailed above.

To lodge this with the courts, do I have to do this in person or can I go online?

Thanks

Pete
                    Neither. The s.8 Notice is what L serves on T. If T fails to comply, L then applies to Court.

Comment

I am in the process of completing the S8 notice and wish to use grounds 8, 10 and 11. The Housing Act states:

"Ground 8

Both at the date of the service of the notice under section 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing—

(a)if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least thirteen weeks' rent is unpaid;
                      (b)if rent is payable monthly, at least three months' rent is unpaid;
                      (c)if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarter’s rent is more than three months in arrears; and
                      (d)if rent is payable yearly, at least three months' rent is more than three months in arrears;
                      and for the purpose of this ground “rent” means rent lawfully due from the tenant"

Therefore, would I actually need 3 months advance rent unpaid? Earlier posts suggest a S8 can be served upon 2 months rent becoming due...which is correct???

Thanks

Pete

Comment

It's now 2 months. Can't remember off hand when it was changed and am to busy watching tv to look Don't worry though it is two months if paid monthly

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
                          It's now 2 months. Can't remember off hand when it was changed and am to busy watching tv to look Don't worry though it is two months if paid monthly
                          Changed by s.101 of Housing Act 1996, effective in early 1997.

Comment

Jeffrey,

Do you know the exact wording, required under the S8 notice?

Thanks

Pete

Comment

and remember in future if you have decent/respectful property demand 6 weeks deposit and a guarantor
                              "Better an empty property than a tenant without a guarantor"

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                mariner
                                'The Tenant' (all 3), can vacate at end of fixed term with no Notice. If remainers sign a new AST to commence after fixed termpref naming new joint, this sould replace original AST. Deed of Surrender is 'belt & brace'.

If incomer signs a Deed of Assignment they only inherit the term...
                                28-07-2017, 00:28 AM
                              • Lease extension
                                chrisco
                                Hi All, I have approached the freeholder on an informal basis to extend the lease of a flat I own as a rental. He has come up with reasonable price for the premium to extend to 125 years from now but wants to double the ground rent every 25 years (from £80 to £160 p/a initially). My solicitor has...
                                27-07-2017, 23:59 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                DPT57
                                I think the problem may be that they are not really 'moving out'. There is a long thread elsewhere on the forum that may be of interest. Although unresolved, it suggests that if some of them don't move out then an SPT will arise automatically for all of them. I really don't want to restart that discussion...
                                27-07-2017, 23:18 PM
                              • TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                                alenuk
                                Dear All
                                Going through some changes...
                                I am just going through divorce that need to be Absolute in approx 2 months.
                                Also have just left work after 8 years...really need new challenge as they said.

I do have one buy to let property in London that have been renting for approx...
                                25-07-2017, 14:05 PM
                              • Reply to TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                                DPT57
                                The Leasehold Advisory Service has an online lease extension calculator that should give you a rough idea of the cost.
                                27-07-2017, 22:47 PM
                              • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                BouwensPB
                                I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                                26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                              • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                Galatea
                                I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                                27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Galatea
                                Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                                The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                                27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X