Potential new tenant stalling on referencing/checks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new tenant stalling on referencing/checks

I currently have potential new tenants going through Referencing/Credit checks. The lead Tenant has passed however their partner is delaying, they are now on holiday and expect to move in as soon as they get back in 2 weeks time. I have contacted them for the remaining reference. They say will provide when they return which is one day before they are to move in.

Any suggestions? would this be fine to go ahead considering the lead tenant has passed?

No.
    I'd find other tenants (or make sure they understand that they can't move on the day that they plan.)

Providing references isn't that complex or time consuming and it's possible they're hoping that you'll let them rent even though they know something nasty might show up.

This is the 21st century, being on holiday doesn't stop things happening if they need doing.
    Last edited by jpkeates; 22-05-2019, 13:38 PM. Reason: Added final sentence.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The whole idea of a tenant reference being a "pass" or a "fail" is a complete nonsense.

How much money do they have in the bank? What do the references actually say (if you got any)? Do they work? What did they say when you saw them with your own eyes?

Choosing appropriate tenants is critical - and the "pass"/"fail" checks have almost nothing to do with that. If you reply on that alone you will be destined for rapid bankruptcy.

Tenants provide whatever they are asked to provide. If they hide information it is good-bye.

Comment

I would not go ahead. If the tenant won't take referencing seriously who knows what else they have in store. I give tenants a fixed time for return of references - usually 7 days max. However, I always let them know that they are usually completed in 3 days and they should let people know they are likely to be contacted by a reference agency.
        I know references are not the only factor to consider but it is quite important. Their attitude would make me run a mile.

Comment

The last comment by slooky is spot on..... irrespective of how important or not the referencing is, is not the point, they are being sneaky in attempting to not give you what you need, alarm bells are ringing, open your ears and listen.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X