Thinking of going periodic..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of going periodic..

Hi I have a tenant who looks after the property and pays her bills on time. She seems quite invested in the property (has done up the garden etc).

Coming up to the end of first 12 Month AST in Mid July. Renting terraced house in London

She is an EU National.

I'm thinking of going period if she agrees, simply to avoid paying the Agents renewal fees.

I've read the five year old article here - https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...riodic-tenancy

Are there any steps we should both take before allowing this to go periodic? What do we need to do with the deposit? Any strong recommendations either way since the article was written?

Thanks

I always have my ASTs go periodic after the 1st year, i simply prefer it this way, i don't wish to keep a tenant in my property if they don't wish to be there, its not good for them and the property being looked after properly. In regards the deposit..... i understand you need to re-issue all the PI information to the tenant (i don't take deposits). I understand there is nothing to massive which needs to be done other than explain what periodic means to the tenant as most do not know.

Comment

You don't need to issue the prescribed information again.

I'd explain your reasoning to the tenant simply so they don't feel insecure.
      I also let all of my tenants go periodic (currently they all are), none of them have ever asked for a new tenancy (possibly because of agents fees) and I explain to them all that this is what I do for a living and that it's unlikely that I'd ever want to evict a reasonable tenant.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes i agree with above, i find that tenants who come from other landlords expect me to want them to sign another AST and also expect they will need to pay fees again..... so they are nicely surprised when the lease simply carries on with no financial cost to them,

Comment

I now have tenancy agreements that say that the tenancy continues as a contractual periodic tenancy, so that no new tenancy arises and I do not have to worry about failing to something that is required at the start of a new tenancy.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback - the (high street) Agent wants 6%+VAT - which is almost one month rent - and the tenant really does like to look after the place . This is my only rental income - and my understanding is there is still good demand in S London in case she did want to leave. The property is close to the main-line station so I think rents out relatively easily should she decide to leave.

Comment

You'll probably be fine, although rental demand is definitely lower in the capital than it was a couple of years ago.

Check your Agent isn't going to try and charge you a fee for letting the tenancy go periodic. Not unknown!

Comment

Thanks I checked with the agent - both on the phone and looking at the fees in the contract.

On the phone they said there is no fee for going periodic (I asked several times) but I've just re-read the contract and it says :

Tenancy Renewal

"Where the Landlord has not selected the Agent’s Management Service, a fee will
                continue to be payable by the Landlord to the Agent where the Tenant remains in the
                Property beyond the Term of the Tenancy Agreement, as described in the Fee section of
                this Agreement. Such a fee will also continue to be payable by the Landlord to the Agent
                should the Landlord negotiate a renewal or extension of the Tenancy directly with the
                Tenant."
                [ME: Note this does not say periodic here?]

Fee Section:

Extension of fixed term onto a periodic tenancy is subject to the Agent’s minimum fee (applies to letting only and rent collect service) - £690

[ME: Does this wording cover a AST becoming periodic]

Now one of my acquaintances (who is a letting agent for an online company) also said, if either of us really wanted another fixed term, we could go periodic and then draw up a much cheaper 12 month AST with a different agency?

Comment

A periodic tenancy is actually a new tenancy, so you're not (technically) extending anything.

You almost certainly can't simply switch agents - there will be wording elsewhere to either stop you doing that or confirm a fee for such a change.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• licensee vs tenant
                    imjustbait
                    i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
                    07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
                  • Reply to licensee vs tenant
                    imjustbait
                    Possibly im coming from the angle of the council is 'supposed to help its residents tooth and nail'
                    24-06-2019, 13:06 PM
                    jpkeates
                    The response makes perfect sense.

You've been given a discretionary award to help pay your rent. which won't be refunded.
                    The 12 months is conditional on you continuing to meet the requirements of the benefit, and your situation may change, so they won't pay future installments n...
                    24-06-2019, 12:39 PM
                  • Tenant choosing not to pay rent!
                    FionaHI
                    Hi

I have issued my tenant with notice to leave the house as they did not pay rent. She lost her job and couldn't afford to live there and I was sympathetic to them re this. I have since found out that they had enough money in the bank to pay the rent but have chosen not too! They still...
                    24-06-2019, 11:08 AM
                  • Reply to Tenant choosing not to pay rent!
                    Hudson01
                    I would take the time to ensure they had a nice CCJ to prevent them gaining credit in the future, this is the minimum i would do.
                    24-06-2019, 12:27 PM
                    imjustbait
                    So.….

I 'implored' to the council/department who hands out awards and their response was basically: 'we wont be giving you a lump sum to pay your arrears because we don't know if you will find or get into work thereafter....' imagine that? the council is saying this...

I...
                    24-06-2019, 12:25 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant choosing not to pay rent!
                    FionaHI
                    Thank you. I am not expecting housing to discuss the tenants situation with me however I am very tempted to let them know that they are claiming money for rent and not paying it. I shall see how it pans out...
                    24-06-2019, 12:23 PM
                  • Bond or No Bond?
                    TMTM
                    Has anyone considered not taking a bond from a tenant?

With all the bond related paperwork landlords must get 100% correct, all the hoops that have got to be jumped through to prove to DPS (or other) that your claim is legitimate, the new five weeks rent equivalent rule, has anyone just...
                    18-06-2019, 09:38 AM
                  • Reply to Bond or No Bond?
                    Hudson01
                    This is how my thinking is going, its too stacked in the tenants favour....
                    24-06-2019, 12:22 PM
                  • Renewing Deposit - Original Deposit 6 Weeks Rent
                    Claymore
                    Hi

Just renewing a deposit for which I took a 6 week deposit 5 years ago. Just went in to renew on MyDeposits but it won't allow me to protect the original figure as it is more than 5 weeks rent.

Am I supposed to refund one week and protect just 5? Seems totally crazy if...
                    24-06-2019, 10:59 AM
                  Working...
                  X