• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basher77
    started a topic Landlord not repairing garage door

Landlord not repairing garage door

Hi,
    8 days ago
    the garage door mechanism has broken in the house we rent (it is wear and tear/age not damage. 4 others in the street have had to be repaired/replaced in the last year)
    the garage is integral to the house but not accessed from within the house so only entrance through the main garage door. As a temp stop gap we have secured the garage door against the entrance but this is not secure and certainly not a long term option. It is held on by 4 screws currently.

landlord is not responding to messages from agent who will not action repair without the landlords go ahead.

im arguing, our contents are not secure therefore insurance is invalid. Never mind that we need access, it’s part of the property, dangerous to have a door unsecured etc.

Agent were notified by phone last Monday, followed up wed and again thurs. The landlord has previous for not doing repairs, shed is in disrepair as they haven’t repaired it, bathroom fan etc. Agent are paying lip service but ultimately work for agent and can’t get hold of landlord. They are coming out for a house inspection this week based on my moans to them last week!

If we were to remove the contents of the garage to storage unit it would cost £250 a month but it’s not secure so will need to be done if they don’t repair the garage door.

id really appreciate some thoughts as to what we can do to push the repair.
    I’d like to say in writing, you’ve had 7 days and done nothing, you have until end of the week to make arrangements for repair or we will remove items to storage and decrease from the rent the costs....or we will repair and deduct costs from rent (but time for getting quotes and giving them warnings etc means this doesn’t appeal to me so much). Annoyingly it’s about £200-300 repair so not huge. Is this seen as realistic?

moved in March 2018 12 mths fixed tenancy, now periodic. All deposits protected etc (I’m clued up so check it’s all in place).
    We do plan to move out at some point but want it to be when it’s right for us and not because we have to but this is also a threat we could use (but they’ll just wait for us to leave before repairing) Rent is due this weekend so I’d like to get things in place by then.

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    As an aside, any slightly competent burglar can access 95% of garages in about 2 minutes.

I'd say more like 15 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Never realised people used garages for motor vehicles these days...

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    Definition of a garage is a building for housing a motor vehicle not a store for valuable items so I don't think any claim for loss of use holds any water.
    Quite. There is a loss of amenity but that loss is negligible given the expected use. And the time scale OP is expecting a response before threatening to stop paying money he is due to pay is ludicrous. It has nothing at all to do with "environmental health". OP should perhaps get back to us in a month.

As an aside, any slightly competent burglar can access 95% of garages in about 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    How about fitting a quality hasp and padlock for a tenner?
    And then getting done for damage?

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Definition of a garage is a building for housing a motor vehicle not a store for valuable items so I don't think any claim for loss of use holds any water.

How about fitting a quality hasp and padlock for a tenner?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by mariner View Post
    You cannot get repair nor withhold rent without LL/Agent prior prior permission.
    .....unless you VERY CAREFULLY follow Shelter's advice here...
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal...thholding_rent

- try to avoid this....

Have you written (yes WRITTEN-) to landlord and agent, keep copy, using draft letter here???
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ivate_landlord

.....If not, do so TODAY!! !

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You can't withhold rent.

Shelter believe that they have a protocol that allows a repair to be completed, paid for by the tenant and the money recovered from the rent.
    However, it's quite drawn out (it's on their website with template letters).

In this case, I'd suggest that the expectations of time-scale are unrealistic.
    Even if the tenants owned the property, it would take some time to get it sorted, it's been a week.

Not being able to contact the landlord is a stupid issue.
    Can the tenants contact the landlord?

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Yes you can. That portion of rent you have deducted for the repair would more than likely be deemed not lawfully due as rent in any legal proceedings for possession.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    You cannot get repair nor withhold rent without LL/Agent prior prior permission.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Obtain 2 quotes, go with the lowest and have it repaired. You need to secure your belongings so waiting further for the landlord is unreasonable. Take photos before and after, keep quotes, and invoice, copy and forward to the landlord advising you have deducted the cost of the repairs from the June rent. Advisable to speak to environmental health first to see if they will issue a notice as the ll may well serve a s21 otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X