Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairs still not fixed

Hi all,
    I privately rent and have done since December 2017. At the beginning of 2018 two of the window handles broke meaning they have been locked shut.
    These were initially reported a week after and someone was sent out via the agency. I took the day off work and waited in but he said his car broke down and I sent pictures via text message. He thought he knew what the issue was and said he would get someone to fix it. Weeks turned into a couple of months and we finally got another date. Partner took time off work and another person did a no show.
    We have left it since last year due to it not being straightforward.
    Last month we reported more repairs - windows again, fences down in a storm and broken door handles (they along with the window handles are basic and cheap). The landlord came out and looked at the issues. He said he’d get someone to sort them. The agency now can’t get in touch with him and we STILL have no escape route from our bedroom in case of a fire.
    We now have a baby and with the warmer weather, it’s far too hot sleeping in a room with no ventilation.
    Do we have grounds to terminate tenancy?
    Thanks in advance!

The general answer to questions of "do we have grounds to terminate the tenancy" is no. The only exception would be if the council ruled the property unfit for human habitation.

I don't know the layout of the property, so I don't know if you actually need escape windows.

Your first port of call is probably the council environmental health department.

You could also consider Shelter's advice on doing the repairs and charging them to the landlord: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._landlord_wont

Comment

I'd suggest to the agency that if the problem isn't solved you'll have to involve the council.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leaving a rented house?
        by Enyala
        If you always paid your rent six month in advance would the LL have to give six months notice to leave at end of a fixed period?
        16-02-2020, 19:32 PM
      • Leaving a rented house?
        by ETJ
        I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
        The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10...
        15-02-2020, 17:04 PM
      • Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
        by Belucky22
        Sadly that post shows your negative attitude towards certain groups. I worked for decades with many people in social housing. My experiential evidence is that the majority are decent people who have had some unexpected misfortune or come from challenging backgrounds.
        You make valuable contributions...
        16-02-2020, 19:19 PM
      • Requested permission to get a cat
        by JessJ235
        Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
        Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
        15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
        by AndrewDod
        The evidence for that statement would be much appreciated.

Bearing in mind we are not talking about social status we are talking about "social housing tenants". Do have have research that shows that social housing tenants do not trash properties at a higher rate that non social...
        16-02-2020, 18:59 PM
        by jpkeates
        I keep dogs and cats (and they are the cause of my frequent use of rugs and replacement of carpets).

However, nothing compares to the damage capacity of a kitten.
        They are full of energy, have sharp teeth and claws, endless curiosity and little continence.
        16-02-2020, 18:58 PM
      • Reply to Pre Action letter for MCOL
        by jpkeates
        You will need to be able to show that the guarantor is the one who, at this point, owes you the debt.
        The tenant has incurred the debt, and the guarantor has (depending on what their guarantor deed says) agreed to pay these debts if they don't.

Depending on the wording of the guarantee...
        16-02-2020, 18:55 PM
      • Pre Action letter for MCOL
        by MisterB
        I haven't used the MCOL process before and having read through it, I am required to undertake 'pre action', which seems a fair process to follow. I have drafted the following (details removed of course) - does anyone consider it unsuitable ?? I have tried to include all the relevant points without making...
        14-05-2017, 07:13 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        There is no correlation between a person's social status and their propensity to trash property....
        16-02-2020, 18:42 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 Proceedings Delay
        by theartfullodger
        Fine, so ask estate agent for evidence of service of all relevant documents...

Could we possibly please have a response to the calm, polite, question from a wise member......
        Looking forward to your illuminating reply....
        16-02-2020, 18:37 PM
      Working...
      X