Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairs still not fixed

Hi all,
    I privately rent and have done since December 2017. At the beginning of 2018 two of the window handles broke meaning they have been locked shut.
    These were initially reported a week after and someone was sent out via the agency. I took the day off work and waited in but he said his car broke down and I sent pictures via text message. He thought he knew what the issue was and said he would get someone to fix it. Weeks turned into a couple of months and we finally got another date. Partner took time off work and another person did a no show.
    We have left it since last year due to it not being straightforward.
    Last month we reported more repairs - windows again, fences down in a storm and broken door handles (they along with the window handles are basic and cheap). The landlord came out and looked at the issues. He said he’d get someone to sort them. The agency now can’t get in touch with him and we STILL have no escape route from our bedroom in case of a fire.
    We now have a baby and with the warmer weather, it’s far too hot sleeping in a room with no ventilation.
    Do we have grounds to terminate tenancy?
    Thanks in advance!

The general answer to questions of "do we have grounds to terminate the tenancy" is no. The only exception would be if the council ruled the property unfit for human habitation.

I don't know the layout of the property, so I don't know if you actually need escape windows.

Your first port of call is probably the council environmental health department.

You could also consider Shelter's advice on doing the repairs and charging them to the landlord: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._landlord_wont

Comment

I'd suggest to the agency that if the problem isn't solved you'll have to involve the council.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X