X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slepewalker
    started a topic When to call end to tenancy

When to call end to tenancy

Thoughts from experienced landlords would be appreciated. The tenancy is now periodic. The house is a modern build, in good repair and decoration.

Tenants are slow in reporting maintenance issues or, conversely, needy. We have replaced a blown light bulb as tenants did not know how to do so.

An attempted break-in went unreported for 48hours, leaving the conservatory open to entry. The damaged lock was replaced and reinforced but it was noted that the main house door was unlocked as was the external boiler room door.

The tenancy agreement is non smoking. Tenants were adamant they were non smokers but one smokes in the garden leaving copious butts around.

Tenants reported mice infestation, not pleasant and within an hour we checked and blocked any possible entry and set traps. Tenants demanded that a professional pest control officer attend and that carpets, which they claim smell of mice urine, be professionally cleaned. It seems the sounds of mice were heard for some time but not recognised and that the ingress is an adjoining neighbour. We will of course followed up until the problem is resolved.

We think the tenants are inexperienced householders and see the landlord as a full service provider. We are aware of our obligations and go way beyond these but feel the tenants are not keeping their side of the relationship. The aggressively expressed demands re the mice make us wonder just how difficult tenants must be to call it a day on the tenancy. Should we pay for a carpet clean (done before tenancy started)? Are we being unrealistic in our expectations as landlords? And when S21 ceases to be an option what happens then?

• mariner
    replied
    Garden cig butts are T's rubbish to remove.

Leave a comment:

• Slepewalker
    replied
    Thank you all. Your replies have given me the courage of my convictions. Boletus - good idea. We did decline to go and tuck the weed barrier membrane back under the gravel in the garden.

As for mice, a hole in the mortar of an adjacent property was the way in. It’s a terrace. The householders affected, including our tenants were unaware of the reason for the strange noises they had heard for some time.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Increase the rent to reflect the higher than normal service level.

Leave a comment:

• alice123
    replied
    if tenants smoke outside thats usually acceptable

i think that for mice well - this is a common problem but as for carpets smelling of urine ??mmmm I found i had mice in my loft a few years back and the council come down for free to put stuff down and do a survey all free maybe you could enquire with your council -

Tenants sound like rather needy to me

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    There are probably other unseen issues too. End tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I would agree, a '' difficult '' tenant often does not know that is what they are ! So they will simply carry on as they have been, best to ditch.

Leave a comment:

• Slepewalker
    replied
    Thanks for responding

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Maybe time for a precautionary s21? You don't have to act on it if tenant attitude improves.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X