Leaving the room in a shared flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the room in a shared flat

Hello, me and my girlfriend are living as lodgers with our landlord (we share kitchen and living room, our room cannot be locked as there are no keys)

we have no written agreement

we live here since 1st of April and we would like to move out. The reason is, we found out that landlord and his wife, which both lives here, has really bad relationship, and they even doesnt talk to each other, which means one of them always sleeps on the sofa in the living room, making it unusable for us, which was part of the deal.

yesterday 17.5. We told him that we would like to move out by the 1st of June.

He said we have to give him one month period starting by 1st of june, as he has no time now to find somebody else, which is obviously lie, just to keep us paying. Also we offered him to find somebody else for the rent.
    Another thing is, 14 days after we moved in, he told us he is leavin this place in 4 months and that we can go with him (??)

we really don't feel good here because of their relationship and we already found another place to stay.

Could somebody please tell me what should we do and what are our rights? We have already paid deposit for our new place, moving there on 1.6. as the current one is no more comfortable for us.

Thank you in advance.

If there's no written agreement, you have to give reasonable notice.
    Reasonable notice is usually related to the payment period, so if you pay monthly, its normally a month, if weekly a week and so on.

However, if you give notice and move out, there's not much the landlord can do to stop you.
    They can try and take the rent they feel they're owed out of the deposit, which might mean you have to live with that or take them to court to get it back.

If you don't feel comfortable or safe, just move out as you intend to.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for the answer!

we pay monthly.

so to be fair, should I say him to keep half of the rent from the deposit (1.6. - 17.6.), as we told him 17.5. that we are leaving?

or should I mention that he didnt go with the deal as we really cannot use the living room, which makes us stay only in our bedroom most of the time which is uncomfortable, needles to say that it almost ruined my relationship with my girlfriend..

if we leave on 1.6. And want whole deposit back, does he have to give the whole amount?

Comment

It's going to be up to what you can negotiate.

You should pay rent until the end of a month's notice. On the other hand, if you can't use the living room the landlords aren't living up to their end of the bargain either.

The issue is obviously somewhat hampered by the fact that the landlord has the deposit and you don't.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You have a verbal Tenancy Agreement as you know that rent of 1 month is payable on <date> each month.
          LL can keep the deposit without risk of AST penalty.
          Your only option would be to sue for it's return via SCC

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 'pausing' a tenancy
            henry_of_hillbridge
            Hi everyone,

I'm here seeking for opinions from more experienced landlords. I'm brand new in the forum and in the landlord world and English is not my first language, so please forgive any absurdities you may hear from me.

I recently bought a flat in Edinburgh which I'm renting...
            20-08-2019, 19:59 PM
          • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
            Ted.E.Bear
            There is a specific forum for questions about tenancies in Scotland.

My guess is that you could possibly arrange to sublet from your tenant during that period - but there is no real way to be sure they will actually move out.
            It may not be possible, but would likely be difficult...
            20-08-2019, 20:33 PM
          • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
            AndrewDod
            In an ideal world where mature adults could contract with each other as mature adults you could do this.

However given the state of play in 2019 this is not a safe thing to do. There is no way you can write a contract to guarantee it will be available to you to put on AirBnB. So the tenant...
            20-08-2019, 20:28 PM
          • Can I charge...
            t-mhrwl
            I have paid an agent to market my property. They have found a tenant who was due to move in yesterday. The dates have already been delayed once. They have paid 3 months advance rent and a 5 week deposit. All paperwork has been prepared and checked by all parties. The tenant has now decided they don't...
            17-08-2019, 12:08 PM
          • Reply to Can I charge...
            t-mhrwl
            Thanks all....
            20-08-2019, 20:13 PM
          • Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
            ABC123
            Just wondering what people's opinions were on this.

The block has a front door that opens onto a courtyard and then a door that leads into a stairwell and then the door to the flat. A separate key is needed for each door.

The tenant says he put the latch on the door to the...
            20-08-2019, 15:29 PM
          • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
            ABC123
            Well, while I’m not disagreeing, that’s kind of what I’m questioning. How far is a LL liable and does a T have an obligation to the LL to mitigate such expenses?

If there were 20 locked doors in the development before the locksmith could reach the bedroom then would the LL be liable...
            20-08-2019, 19:49 PM
          • would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
            Maikkia
            Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice as everyone has been so helpful in the past. One of my 5 bed properties that used to be a family home is currently vacant for 5 months at the end of Aug. Its in the middle of nowhere and has always been difficult to rent out although a tenant family of 2...
            20-08-2019, 18:22 PM
          • Reply to would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
            AndrewDod
            We should reiterate again that the only reason these folk are high-risk (and will have difficulty finding a property to let) is as a result of legislation. In a normal world where you could easily and efficiently evict tenants who did not fulfil their side of the contract, they would not be high-risk...
            20-08-2019, 19:43 PM
          • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
            nukecad
            Maybe not as secure as you thought?
            Maybe someone left them open or let him in?

Less cost than having to drill extra (communal) locks to get to the bedroom.
            20-08-2019, 19:36 PM
          Working...
          X