Rats in the garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rats in the garden

My tenant has reported seeing rats in the garden and the pest control department of the local authority will charge £120 inc, for three visits. Is the tenant responsible for this or the landlord? Nothing in the tenancy agreement regarding this.

Not a problem, if they are in the garden it's wildlife.
    If the tenant doesn't like wildlife that's their problem.

If they get inside the property that's a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by haulyfryn View Post
      will charge £120 inc
      What does this mean?

Comment

The £120 including VAT (inc, short for inclusive)

Comment

The £120 including VAT (inc, short for inclusive)
          I know that inc is short for inclusive, but you did not say inclusive of what.
          For all I knew it could have been inclusive of cutting the grass.

Comment

It's for 3 visits to put down poison and to check that it has worked and the problem has been solved. My main concern was who is responsible for paying for this work.

Comment

If the tenant asked the council to put down poison the tenant is responsible for the cost.

The LL has a duty to stop vermin entering the property, who's responsible for getting rid once they are in is a bit more complicated.
              https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...n_rented_homes

But in this case they weren't even in the property so any action taken by the tenant is the tenants responsibility.

PS. Here's a Bob Marley song - "Rat in mi kitchen". (Later covered by UB40).
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS0fXQN6zrI

Comment

MdeB recently accused me of being 'obtuse'!

Comment

Thank you for the replies.The question I asked has been answered.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                    But in this case they weren't even in the property so any action taken by the tenant is the tenants responsibility.
                    Unless it's somehow excluded, the garden is part of a property.

However, it's impossible make a garden rat proof, so the responsibility is still with the tenant (although I am a bit surprised the council's prepared to put down rat poison in a garden at all).

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

rats are everywhere...new ones will replace the old. If this were not a rental property I would say get a cat. Or better still a Jack Russelll...
                      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

My tenant has reported seeing rats in the garden
                        This depends on the type of property ,tenants and neighbours. Is the house situated in an area where you have previously seen rats or is this an isolated and unexpected sighting? If this is due to tenant behavior such as leaving food debris, rubbish, black rubbish bags etc in the open, then they are causing the problem. If their neighbours are doing the same thing then they will be causing the problem.

When I have used the local authority vermin control service they treat rat infestation as a problem for the whole street and you may not get rid of the problem in your property unless you deal with all of the factors that allow rats to live there. You should be aware that if rats are allowed to settle they are very difficult to move and when they are poisoned you can find dead rats which can be worse that a live one. Early preventative action is recommended.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X