No defence to Part 8 claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No defence to Part 8 claim

I started part 8 claim for breach of deposit protection law and 14 days have passed and LL not filed any defence. Court have asked me to confirm that I also not received any response from LL which I am going to do next week.

I sorted out remedies to return my deposit and 3 times penalty in my claim. What would happen now? do I get full remedies claimed or not and do I have to go to hearing or I would get a judgement without hearing?

There will still have to be a hearing. Default judgment may not be obtained for a claim under the Part 8 procedure. In theory, if the defendant failed to file an acknowledgment of service, they "may attend the hearing of the claim but may not take part in the hearing unless the court gives permission". Don't be surprised if they do turn up at the hearing and the judge does give permission for them to take part though.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Do all joint tenants have to attend hearing or one can attend for all ? can one tenant authorise other if he confirms in writing and would court accept that?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deemed Date of Service of a Section 8??
        hollyblue
        I hope someone can advise.... I am worried I have wrongly worked out the “earliest date on which court proceedings can be brought”.

i served the Section 8 on Thursday 22 August (yesterday) by putting it through the tenant’s letterbox about 5pm. I put the earliest date on which court...
        23-08-2019, 19:33 PM
      • Tenant suddenly wants new fixed term tenancy
        bmw75
        Dear Forum.

i have a friend who is also a landlord but less knowledgeable than me and so asks my advice. However his recent situation I feel could do with a little input from the forum.

The issue is, he has tenants in his flat in England since November 2017. They had a fixed...
        23-08-2019, 19:03 PM
      • Reply to Tenant suddenly wants new fixed term tenancy
        leaseholder64
        Doesn't sound right. There are too many questionable reasons. It could be that they are scared that Boris will remove their right to rent and want to maximise the time to the next check, but I don't see how the accountant, name change, or benefits fit in.
        23-08-2019, 19:30 PM
      • Reply to Tenant suddenly wants new fixed term tenancy
        AndrewDod
        Most post was eliminated after all my hard typing because I guess the word b_rothel

You wouldn't normally establish a new long term tenancy agreement with folk on benefits without thinking about it for a long time
        23-08-2019, 19:16 PM
      • Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
        ABC123
        Just wondering what people's opinions were on this.

The block has a front door that opens onto a courtyard and then a door that leads into a stairwell and then the door to the flat. A separate key is needed for each door.

The tenant says he put the latch on the door to the...
        20-08-2019, 15:29 PM
      • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
        nukecad
        Yes thats my take on it.

There was a problem caused by something that failed.
        Whatever the tenant did to rectify that problem (call a locksmith, break the door down, whatever) is their choice and their responsibility.
        If it was the minimum needed (like going back to bed until...
        23-08-2019, 18:28 PM
      • Rent Arrears Help
        Dave Skywalker
        Hi

Found this forum looking for help for my Brother in Law

Hope you guys can shed some light onto this

Brother in law and Girlfriend have been renting a house together for a few years. Both are named on the rental contract.

They re signed...
        22-08-2019, 18:26 PM
      • Reply to Rent Arrears Help
        Dave Skywalker
        Thank you all for your replies.

Have passed on all the points to my Brother in law....
        23-08-2019, 18:28 PM
      • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
        ABC123
        So are you saying that as landlord I would be responsible for the cost of fixing the bedroom door handle that failed and that the tenant would be responsible for the cost of drilling the front door lock and fixing it because through his action of putting the latch on then his flatmate was not able to...
        23-08-2019, 17:31 PM
      • Reply to Rent Arrears Help
        AndrewDod
        But surely JP, councils routinely force tenants to steal from landlords under conditions where they cannot (or will not) pay rent. Their failure to take up that opportunity (to increase a debt they know they will not repay within protection of the law) is what they routinely use to declare the act as...
        23-08-2019, 16:32 PM
      Working...
      X